Options

What is the photoshop job that

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited June 5, 2004 in Finishing School
does that one where you lower the colours so that you can end up with an almost B & W of say a portarait & still have their original eye colour ? Is it the tri-pan x ? Ive seen it with pastel like colours before so it cant just be a lowering of RGB's

If this hasnt been done yet in andys great tutorials then can someone show me please ?

Hey Baldy/Andy...this stuff andy is teaching is too good to be lost in posts...we are growing very fast so what about making some sort of tutorial list...sorry to make work for you but hey this site is worth it.

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    does that one where you lower the colours so that you can end up with an almost B & W of say a portarait & still have their original eye colour ? Is it the tri-pan x ? Ive seen it with pastel like colours before so it cant just be a lowering of RGB's

If this hasnt been done yet in andys great tutorials then can someone show me please ?

I don't know if this the type of thing you mean or not (sorry if it isn't!)
    4755897-S.jpg

I did that by:
    producing a background copy overlay layer
    applied a guassian blur
    reduced the opacity to about 87%
    this seemed to emphasise the stronger colours

did an adjustment channel mixer layer
    turned up the red
    then ticked the monochrome box
    turned the opacity down to about 80%

also fiddled with the levels and curves a little.

Hum, as you can see, I'm no expert I just downloaded a trial copy of PS 7 from Adobe and tried a few of the things andy and Cletus have been showing us, so I'm sure there are different and better ways of doing it ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2004
    another tutorial? well, ok....
    Humungus wrote:

Hey Baldy/Andy...this stuff andy is teaching is too good to be lost in posts...we are growing very fast so what about making some sort of tutorial list...sorry to make work for you but hey this site is worth it.

here is a new tutorial i just did on selective color in b&w
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2004
    Thanks grubbs/andy....thats it.

See what i mean about some perm area we can ref from baldy ?
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2004
    hehe i just made that one for you today, 'gus
    Humungus wrote:

upon your request.... enjoy it. holler if you need help.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2004
    Humungus wrote:

Yeah, like a Library of Knowledge where we can put the great teaching threads. Excellent idea.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2004
    andy wrote:
    upon your request.... enjoy it. holler if you need help.
    Opened a tin 'o worms here andy...but thanks for your patience

I cant find the 'layer mask' ..you said its the circle in the square icon in your layers palette.

In the bottom right of my PS is this ..a square with an eye in it...a square with a paint brush in it ....a tiny pic of the job called background...& then just a lock that when i mouse over it i get the msg 'indicates layer is partially blocked'

Is this where im going wrong ? I have PS6
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2004
    Ok...with some 'googling' i have discovered that button however mine is def locked. Whats the go here...this is a full registed version of PS6 ???
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2004
    Ive managed to unlock it by creating a new image & dragging it over it....is this ment to be this difficult ?

Can i just stay an RGB master instead :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2004
    Registration shouldn't matter. If any part of PS works, then it should all work.

If you created an adjustment layer using the icon on your Layers palette, I think all you have to do is click on your paintbrush, look at the bottom of the toolbar to make sure the two little color boxes are black and white, and swipe away. If nothing happens, try flipping the black and white boxes. Black on top always gives me the mask I want. (And you can also adjust the opacity, weight, size of the brush.)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Yeah, like a Library of Knowledge where we can put the great teaching threads. Excellent idea.
    me too! (think it's an excellent idea)
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2004
    I also think it's a great Idea....

How to threads only. And move all of the existing how to threads to it. Would save bookmarking all the threads or having to go look for them.

Andy, cletus and a few others ought to get together and publish A BOOK!
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2004
    Im sooo close here waxolious. I got right up to the last line !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"undo your undo" !!!!

then the wheel fell off big time.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Im sooo close here waxolious. I got right up to the last line !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"undo your undo" !!!!

then the wheel fell off big time.

gus... listen up k?

1. take a pic
    2. layer>new adj layer>levels
    3. adj the levels so that they are really crazy - go wild man
    4. get a fat soft brush from the tool bar - size it big enough so you can see it very well
    5. click on the layer mask (the rectangle next to your pic in the layers pallete
    6. now brush away the levels effect on that layer (just part of it)
    7. switch to either white as your foreground color and continue to use the brush, or switch tools to the eraser
    8. now brush on your pic, the part you want to "undo the undo" e.g. return to the original levels effect

n'est pas?
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2004
    Thanks andy...ill get it dont worry about that....atm im having a lot of trouble making dodge tool black !

If you ever need anything really heavy lifted or moneys owed collected...then im your man ok.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2004
    AAARRRGGGGHHHH !!!!
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2004
    3 hours later & some assistance & it still aint happenin' guys....

Tell you what i will give you 1/ the 23rd missing herb from kentucky fried chicken

2/ the soup nazi's recipe for crab bissuqe

3/ tell you what happened to the missing avenger
    p38's over the triangle if you pass on that one
    last piece of the puzzel.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2004
    You lot can run...but you cant hide !

What seems to be my problem (other than ADD) is that i lose the 'layer mask once i go to greyscale...it just disappears. Now Mrs Humungus is no slouch on computers & i have sat her down for an hour & she tells me there is something missing from the instructions given.

I am basically having a layering problem cause i cant paint over the bits that i want the colour to stay in.

Im sorry guys but its PUI tonight & i am into my 7th hour of this...the cat wont make eye contact with me & ive burnt my vindaloo.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2004
    layer mask tutorial
    Humungus wrote:
    You lot can run...but you cant hide !

What seems to be my problem (other than ADD) is that i lose the 'layer mask once i go to greyscale...it just disappears. Now Mrs Humungus is no slouch on computers & i have sat her down for an hour & she tells me there is something missing from the instructions given.

I am basically having a layering problem cause i cant paint over the bits that i want the colour to stay in.

Im sorry guys but its PUI tonight & i am into my 7th hour of this...the cat wont make eye contact with me & ive burnt my vindaloo.

'gus, i made a layer mask tutorial for you this morning. it's right here

hope this helps?