Off camera flash cruise

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited December 28, 2009 in People
<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc; COLOR: #cccccc" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I decided to play with some off camera flash during a cruise my family took last week. I'm impressed with the results. I've never really liked flash photography, but taking the flash off camera raises it to another level.

My son contemplating the meaning of life along with his cheese sandwich.
749041363_589TF-XL.jpg

Ready for dinner.
749042572_wRaRZ-XL.jpg

Hungry ladies.
749042735_ct4W8-XL.jpg

Please don't drop daddy's camera or flash!
749042685_wP9tY-XL.jpg

Formal night.
749040304_fy47a-XL.jpg

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    Your family is beautiful, Mitch! Nice job!

Compliments of the season! thumb.gif

- Wil

PS: My favourite is "Hungry Ladies"
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    I agree that getting the flash off the camera turns it from an ugly thing to a beautiful thing instantly. :D Go through the stuff at www.strobist.com and you'll never go back!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • DerweissehaiDerweissehai Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    I deff agree. Strobist is the place the placeot go for all OCF....haven't looked back sense. Great series.
    7D/40D/XTi/G10/EOS630/50MM 1.8/430/580x2/18-55/28-135/PWx2/Sekonic LM/Tam. 70-200 2.8
    Model Site/Portrait Site/Flcikr/MM

Adam
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Nice shots Mitchell. I'm liking the off camera lighting.

Just wondering if you are still shooting your D70.

A few years back, I gave my D70 to my wife when I moved up. It always it took great images when used within it's working envelope. Those big old light buckets just suck up the light.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    From the catch lights, it doesn't look like you strayed too far off camera. How were you holding/placing and firing the flash? Or, did you use one on camera and a second more diffused further off? Just curious, because it looks like you shot in a restaurant, so your set up must have been pretty simple and unobtrusive...
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    Just a Guess:

Pop-up flash as commander but set to low power, and off-camera flash on a different group set to whatever power was necessary??

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    Nice shots Mitchell. I'm liking the off camera lighting.

Just wondering if you are still shooting your D70.

A few years back, I gave my D70 to my wife when I moved up. It always it took great images when used within it's working envelope. Those big old light buckets just suck up the light.

Thanks for sharing.

Ed, these were taken with a D700.

I still have my trusty D70, but it is pending an IR conversion.

Thanks for looking.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    1pocket wrote:
    From the catch lights, it doesn't look like you strayed too far off camera. How were you holding/placing and firing the flash? Or, did you use one on camera and a second more diffused further off? Just curious, because it looks like you shot in a restaurant, so your set up must have been pretty simple and unobtrusive...

These were all fired with the pop up flash as commander with no flash from the pop-up.

A few were taken with me just holding the SB800 in my extended left hand. The formal poses were taken with someone holding the flash a few feet to the left of the camera.