Ruby Beach Revisited

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited December 26, 2009 in Landscapes
Here are some shots from Ruby Beach that I took awhile ago but just recently processed or re-processed. I found these while sorting and organizing my photos, a rather tedious job but worthwhile for the few photos I found that I had ignored for whatever reason before.

#1: My first ever sunset at Ruby Beach

746052338_M8LwD-XL.jpg

#2: The fog rolls in

732846174_4orbk-XL.jpg

#3: A pastel dusk

749741571_bS8iA-XL.jpg

UPDATE, A late addition (didn't have this one in the original set), just found it.

#4:

750017051_bPRKX-XL.jpg

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Ron, your "forgotten" photos are excellent. I am glad you looked through them. I hope to find some gems when I get back to sorting mine. rolleyes1.gif

I like #2 the best. The fog is just enough to provide a mood but not to cover up the subjects. The reflection of the rock is perfect, IMO, and the water's lines in front of the rock provide some nice texture. This shot has a very mystical feel--I could easily see it on a fantasy book cover or movie poster. Of course, it would like nice as a print on my wall too! mwink.gif

Nice work!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Nice Ron, love "The Fog rolls in" shot, happy holidays and happy new year.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Gorgeous. clap.gifclap.gif

Ron, what is the primary workflow technique you use to manage such soft pastel like tones. If that's a secret recipe then just ignore the question, but e-mail me the answer anywayrolleyes1.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Ron, your "forgotten" photos are excellent. I am glad you looked through them. I hope to find some gems when I get back to sorting mine. rolleyes1.gif

I like #2 the best. The fog is just enough to provide a mood but not to cover up the subjects. The reflection of the rock is perfect, IMO, and the water's lines in front of the rock provide some nice texture. This shot has a very mystical feel--I could easily see it on a fantasy book cover or movie poster. Of course, it would like nice as a print on my wall too! mwink.gif

Nice work!

Lauren

Thanks! I ordered a print of it and gave it away as a gift for Christmas, it looked pretty cool. From my experience, there are more land mines than gold mines when going through old photos, but the few gold mines make it worth it :D
    edited December 26, 2009
    sgonen wrote:
    Nice Ron, love "The Fog rolls in" shot, happy holidays and happy new year.
    Thanks Shimon, you too!
    edited December 26, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Gorgeous. clap.gifclap.gif

Ron, what is the primary workflow technique you use to manage such soft pastel like tones. If that's a secret recipe then just ignore the question, but e-mail me the answer anywayrolleyes1.gif

The primary workflow is out in the field! :D

The key is usually to find side lit scenes rather than back lit scenes (as the colors are more neutral in that direction), and to over expose 1-2 stops (it's not really over exposure if that's what you're trying to do, what I mean is expose 1-2 stops more than the evaluative/average metering suggests). All of the shots in this series were over-exposed. Only the last was side lit, but the other two had so much cloud cover that it was OK. If you're bracketing, you can manually mask in any blown out pieces from the normal exposure (that's what I did on #2). Also that last one had a 3-stop magenta-casted-even-though-it's-supposed-to-be-neutral GND filter.
    edited December 26, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    The primary workflow is out in the field! :D

The key is usually to find side lit scenes rather than back lit scenes (as the colors are more neutral in that direction), and to over expose 1-2 stops (it's not really over exposure if that's what you're trying to do, what I mean is expose 1-2 stops more than the evaluative/average metering suggests). All of the shots in this series were over-exposed. Only the last was side lit, but the other two had so much cloud cover that it was OK. If you're bracketing, you can manually mask in any blown out pieces from the normal exposure (that's what I did on #2). Also that last one had a 3-stop magenta-casted-even-though-it's-supposed-to-be-neutral GND filter.

Thanks man. That is so helpfulbowdown.gif

The magenta casting was due to the particular gnd that you used?
    edited December 26, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Thanks man. That is so helpfulbowdown.gif

The magenta casting was due to the particular gnd that you used?

Yeah, a Singh Ray GND filter. They're supposed to be neutral but they really aren't, especially the 3-stop. The 2-stop soft GND I have is fine, but the 3-stop introduces a magenta cast, sometimes that's OK, sometimes it's annoying.

Here's another example with a magenta cast that I liked how it turned out: http://photos.coscorrosa.com/Landscapes/Cityscapes/MG8972/503066971_pvqEt-XL.jpg
    edited December 26, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Yeah, a Singh Ray GND filter. They're supposed to be neutral but they really aren't, especially the 3-stop. The 2-stop soft GND I have is fine, but the 3-stop introduces a magenta cast, sometimes that's OK, sometimes it's annoying.

Here's another example with a magenta cast that I liked how it turned out: http://photos.coscorrosa.com/Landscapes/Cityscapes/MG8972/503066971_pvqEt-XL.jpg

Wow man, you never cease to amaze. That is incredible.

I have the same Singh Ray, but I haven't used it enough to notice any cast.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Very nice. I've spent so many dark nights on that beach, hiking down in the dark and leaving before sunrise...silly me.
    Growing with Dgrin