Christmas character!

MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
edited December 26, 2009 in People
732651069_BzRfx-XL.jpg

Comments

• kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Oh! What a great catch! Just love the expression and body language.

Have you tied to pull more detail out from him by adding a little fill light or dodge and burn?
    --Kres
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    kres wrote:
    Oh! What a great catch! Just love the expression and body language.

Have you tied to pull more detail out from him by adding a little fill light or dodge and burn?

Thanks - he was a great sport for the camera.

As for the fill light, dodge and burn... I have to confess to not knowing what they are 11doh.gif This shot is straight from the camera, no post processing... I'm assuming you're referring to Photoshopping techniques?
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Nice idea!

You need to get a bit more detail on his face.

I'd be curious as to what sort of bike he was riding…

By his position and the handle-bars, I'd guess it might be a Penny-Farthing, perhaps?

…also, if you'd used the "portrait orientation" (rotate camera 90º) you'd have got the bike, and still had some of the background lights!
    I like the out-of-focused background; you would have retained that in portrait-orientation, and would not have had the wasted space on camera right (his left).

Thanks for sharing!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Mav wrote:
    Thanks - he was a great sport for the camera.

As for the fill light, dodge and burn... I have to confess to not knowing what they are 11doh.gif This shot is straight from the camera, no post processing... I'm assuming you're referring to Photoshopping techniques?

Sure am.

If I might make a suggestion... if you don't own Photoshop (PS) at all, then get a copy of Photoshop Elements (PSE). It's under a $100 bucks, gives you a great introduction to how far you can go with the full PS and is still quite potent. You can also move it down to a lesser powered laptop when you upgrade IF you decide to upgrade. Some folks just stick with it. Versions 7 & 8 of PSE are strong enough to easily handle 90% of what most folks need. Just my .02.

Fill light can selectively brighten up your character without blowing out detail, or the mood of the shot. As for framing, well, thats a personal preference - sometimes breaking the rules/guidelines led to great results.
    --Kres
    edited December 26, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Nice idea!

You need to get a bit more detail on his face.

I'd be curious as to what sort of bike he was riding…

By his position and the handle-bars, I'd guess it might be a Penny-Farthing, perhaps?

…also, if you'd used the "portrait orientation" (rotate camera 90º) you'd have got the bike, and still had some of the background lights!
    I like the out-of-focused background; you would have retained that in portrait-orientation, and would not have had the wasted space on camera right (his left).

Thanks for sharing!

- Wil

Nice idea - I hadn't thought of using portrait to get the bike in.

As for the type of bike, here's a shot with the bike in it. Looks like a not so extreme penny farthing:

732642578_HnGca-XL.jpg
    edited December 26, 2009
    kres wrote:
    Sure am.

If I might make a suggestion... if you don't own Photoshop (PS) at all, then get a copy of Photoshop Elements (PSE). It's under a $100 bucks, gives you a great introduction to how far you can go with the full PS and is still quite potent. You can also move it down to a lesser powered laptop when you upgrade IF you decide to upgrade. Some folks just stick with it. Versions 7 & 8 of PSE are strong enough to easily handle 90% of what most folks need. Just my .02.

Fill light can selectively brighten up your character without blowing out detail, or the mood of the shot. As for framing, well, thats a personal preference - sometimes breaking the rules/guidelines led to great results.

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try. I've got the raw as well so I can do the processing... once I work out how to do it!