extension

EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited January 14, 2010 in Holy Macro
Season greetings all:
I am wondering is its worht using the Kenko extensions, on my 100macro canon lens...

2) i am thinking of getting the new Canon macro 100 with is

I know these 2 ? are totally different but i hear alot of good things from the new 100 macro.. wanted the mpe so bad butnot enuff funds to get the light with it.......strike that off
E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited December 26, 2009
    hi eddy, greetings.

yes it is worth getting the ex tubes, they will double the magnification to x2
    that is enough to show good detail that cannot be seen with just the 100mm.
    phil
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    What Phil said.

See my Frost on a blade of grass thread I just posted :) Kenkos used on a Sigma 105
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Agreed. The Kenko extension tubes are well worth it. They work so very well and aren't very expensive. Never a bad purchase thumb.gif
    //Leah
  • EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Thanks alot guys for all the information.. sorry for the english..still have the singaporean in me...hahaha..

Should i get the canon or the kenko...Hoping canon has one but everyone seems to luv the kenko.

Hi Ian...nicely done ...woow think this is a serious peice of hardware that can help me ..
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Eddy wrote:
    Thanks alot guys for all the information.. sorry for the english..still have the singaporean in me...hahaha..

Should i get the canon or the kenko...Hoping canon has one but everyone seems to luv the kenko.

Hi Ian...nicely done ...woow think this is a serious peice of hardware that can help me ..

The Kenkos are cheaper and as there is no glass involved (quality differences usually being better with Canon than 3rd parties), the difference is negligible. Go for the Kenkos and save the $$
    //Leah
    edited December 28, 2009
    Ok LAdies and Gents just came in , got me the Kenko Tubes and traded my 100mm macro 2.8 for the new 100m macro is usm and being inToronto (cold rain) will do some macros indoors with this new lens and tubes along with my 580 ex flash see what happens...Will post the pics. Once again TY for the very positive Infoeveryone and have a safe New year.
    Eddy
    E.J.W

edited December 29, 2009
    Thanks Eddy,

Congrats on the purchase.

Quick tip. DoF is down to millimeters so hand held on manual focus with flash is best done by breathing into focus whilst braced. That is let your natural chest rise and fall movements move you into the focus point (at least that's how I've found it to be if not using a tripod of micro positioning plate)

Of course, tripod and positioning plate are preferable although not always possible but use of AF is easier when on a tripod etc.

Looking forward to seeing your results.
  • dirtyleodirtyleo Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    How Much Extension
    Is there a rule of thumb as to how much extension should be used?
    I have a Canon 25 II,should I add to that or will it be adequte for the learning stage?I will be using it basically with a Tamron 90 f2.8 macro

dick
    edited December 30, 2009
    IPClark:

Is that some training, breathing in and out, Friday will let you know and judge + Critque the pics, This ia all to new for me(macro) but i am hoping from the tips it will work out

Dirtyleo:
    I really could not answer that question, newbie here in Macro, the replies i have gotten from all the lads and ladies in this forum will certainly go along way..They say the tubes help you get alot closer..take alook @ IPClark's pic the blade of grass.. thats how close i intend to get..I will do all three tubes and post

THanks alot guys
    Eddy
    E.J.W

• wiredcurwiredcur Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    I'll post a review of Opteka's tube set for Nikon after I get them next week. They were only $99.

They only have Nikon-mount versions right now but Canon might not be too far off.
    edited January 2, 2010
    thanks Wiredcur that would be great ..to see..
    Thanks alot
    E.J.W

• Chris GeigerChris Geiger Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    I love the kenko extension tubes I purchased for my Nikon lenses. I keep one or two extensions with me at the reception to get ring shots....

dante-club.jpg

wonder-valley-ring.jpg
    edited January 3, 2010
    hwy chris macros lens used...?
    E.J.W

edited January 3, 2010
    Beautiful shots those Chris.
  • Chris GeigerChris Geiger Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Eddy wrote:
    hwy chris macros lens used...?

No, these are standard lenses. I was struggling with my ring shots and could not get close enough with my lenses. I did not want to purchase and lug around a special lens just for ring shots. I tried using threaded lens adapters but the spacers work much better.

I used a D700, 50mm 1.8 lens with 12mm spacer for those three photos. Bounced flash overhead, aperture at f8.

The second shot was taken with D300 17-55 2.8 lens set at 2.8, 20mm spacer, no flash outdoor cloudy daylight.

What I like about these spacers is that I can keep one or two of them with me in a pocket and slap them on when I want to do a close up ring shot.

I find that the thickest spacer is just too extreme for my work needs but is fun to play with on flowers and bugs.
  • wiredcurwiredcur Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    wiredcur wrote:
    I'll post a review of Opteka's tube set for Nikon after I get them next week. They were only $99.

They only have Nikon-mount versions right now but Canon might not be too far off.

Beer with me a little longer. I'm having too much fun with the tubes and the 100mm E lens I recently acquired. mwink.gif Haven't taken the time to try the tubes with my auto 50mm.