Options

More help on lens - nikon 14-24 or?

takinmoretakinmore Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited January 8, 2010 in Cameras
Hi folks, perhaps you can offer your suggestions on lens to me. I am looking to buy one prime lens FX style (I currently only have a D70s but will go FX hopefully when the D800(?) arrives). I am planning on spending around $2000 -2500.

I shoot mostly scenery, landscapes, city buildings when I travel. The excellent reviews of the 14-24mm turn my crank as I am looking for ultimate sharpness as I relearn my photography after a long hiatus.

So, I am thinking the Nikon 14-24mm, by all accounts one of the sharpest lens out there. That and a Nikon 50mm 1.8D would likely cover me as I can use my older 70-300mm or anything else (I ran Exposureplot and 86% of recent shots are around 27 - 73mm with my existing kit lens of 18-70mm and the 300.) A recent trip to Zurich with a friends 18-200 netted me 16% at 18mm and 39% at 18-33mm. I know the 14-24 doesn't take filters but I mostly only use hand held Cokin neutral density filters so don't think that will be an issue.

I originally was thinking the 70-200mm until I evaluated my actual shooting.
I am off to the Punta Cana the end of Janary and plan to take the lens there.

Any thoughts on my present choices? 14-24 and 50?

many thanks
Got to love digital :barb

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited December 26, 2009
    takinmore wrote:
    Hi folks, perhaps you can offer your suggestions on lens to me. I am looking to buy one prime lens FX style ...

Any thoughts on my present choices? 14-24 and 50?

many thanks

The 50mm lens is a prime lens, but the 14-24mm is a wide zoom lens. Any of the Nikkor 50mm lenses are good choices, but the Nikkor 50mm, f1.2 AI-S is arguably the best of the bunch. The 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S is indeed an excellent wide zoom.

If you are willing to wait for the Nikon D800 camera (could be a while) you might also wait to see what lenses are available.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Both are excellent, especially the 14-24mm which I've raved about too many times to count. I love that lens.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    thanks
    thanks for the help Ziggy and rookieshooter. I am going to rent the 14-24 over a weekend and try it out to make sure I like it.

As for waiting, as you point out it could be a long wait (especially since I have to have the $ for a D800 if/when it comes out) so if I like the lens I might as well get it now I figure. It'll obviously still be good for future cameras and if it's as good as they say, then it will also retain its value in case I ever change my mind and want to sell it.

my main worry was if I would initially get more out of a 70-200 2.8 or the wide angle (ideally I will have both as the 70-200 or wahtever new one is available would be next on the list)
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    If you rent the 14-24mm over the weekend and don't like it there is something physically wrong with you. :D Every review states it's amazing and in my own personal use it's just phenomenal. It will probably be the first lens I buy because I love shooting with it. Reviews:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/14-24mm.htm

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/nikon-14-24-review/
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    The 14-24 is a phenomenal piece of glass. I will be getting one myself within the next 4 weeks or so. A few months back, I rented the 70-200 and the 14-24. I ended up buying the 70-200 a few weeks back, and like I said the 14-24 is coming soon. :) Renting is SO EXPENSIVE! Laughing.gif

IMO, the 70-200 is great people lens, while the 14-24 is the better landscape and architectural choice. However, don't be afraid to use the 14-24 for creative portraiture. :)

eg:

719457989_sUyAi-M-1.jpg

721623698_ipMYg-S.jpg

719458378_mA8dA-S-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    If you like wide zoom lenses also consider:

Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 10-20mm, F/3.5 EX DC HSM
    Tokina 12-24mm, f/4.0 PRO DX
    Tamron 11-18mm, f/4.5-5.6 XR DI-II LD Aspherical (IF)
    Nikon 12-24mm, f/4.0G ED-IF DX

While the Nikkor 14-24mm, f/2.8G ED AF-S is a splendid lens to be sure, there are times it's not wide enough on a crop 1.5x body. The difference between 10mm and 14mm in field of view is considerable.

I use the Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM and I assure you it can be used to take very high quality images. If you're going to be using a crop camera for some time, you might consider something wider if it's more appropriate to your needs now.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2009
    thanks everyone. I am sure I will love the 14-24, I guess any hesitation is more from whether I will like that wide angle (versus a 10-20 or so) since I have not shot with it or anything close to it for decades. I won't buy a DX lens as I definately plan on getting into FX format so want a lens to last me the rest of my photography life ;-)

It is in fact the glowing recommendations that drove me to it rather than any experience, knowing that if I use it, it will be the best, leaving it up to me to do my best with it.

I guess the real question is, what would be the best pro lens for landscapes, and I think it appears to be the nikon 14-24 right now. Also, If I end up with that lens, a 70-200mm 2.8 and a 50mm 1.8 would that make a fine collection for all around photos for an amateur?

thanks again everyone fo rthe great help
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2009
    I think it's safe to say the 14-24mm is the best landscape lens available. :)

As for a zoom, keep in mind the new 70-200 VRII is optimized for FX and doesn't vignette like the previous model.

As for primes, I prefer the 50 1.4 just because it is more solidly built and faster but it does cost three times as much. The 50 1.8 is an excellent value for sure.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5018daf.htm
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2009
    getting the 14-24 this weekend
    thanks again everyone. I am picking up the 14-24mm this evening for a full 3 day weekend at a one day rental rate rolleyes1.gif

I will check it out all weekend and let you know how it goes. As for the 50 1.2/1.4, I'd like those but the 14-24mm pushes my budget so right now the cheaper 1.8 fills a gap (unless I sell my old Nikon F2 with like new Nikkor P C 50 2.0 and 105mm 2.5 rolleyes1.gif I've owned them for over 30 years now so its kinda hard but I never use them )

cheers
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2010
    proud owner of 14-24
    folks, thanks again for all your help. I rented and then purchased the 14-24mm 2.8 lens. Can't wait until end of the month when I go to Punta Cana so I can take some pix in the sunshines and warmthiloveyou.gif

In the meantime I will practice in the cold when I can
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2010
    takinmore wrote:
    folks, thanks again for all your help. I rented and then purchased the 14-24mm 2.8 lens. Can't wait until end of the month when I go to Punta Cana so I can take some pix in the sunshines and warmthiloveyou.gif

In the meantime I will practice in the cold when I can

Wow, congratulations. clap.gif

I look forward to seeing your vacation images. (I've seen enough cold and snow in person for now.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    +1 for vaca images! :D