Is this cool, or corny?

PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
edited July 25, 2005 in People
Took this at a wedding a while back... I like it. What about you? If you like it, what do you like? If you don't, why not?

TIA

Mike

0872.jpg
Mike LaPorte
Perfect Pix

Comments

• KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    To me the stained glass takes away from the bride who should be the primary subject. Instead of the light from it enhancinng her, she just looks in the dark and secondary to the bright window.
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    I have to say....it doesn't grab me. But that might be because I'm not quite sure what the story is. Is she looking out and contemplating God?

I don't mind the backlit scene...it could work. There's just not much emotion in her face. Perhaps having her look down at her flower, and face further toward the window for more light on her. And a shot with an angle the empasizes her, not the window.

Still....you have to TRY for shots like this. I think it has potential. Look forward to seeing your next shot when you have an opportunity like this.

Lee
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    Thanks for the critique, I have mixed feelings on it to. My wife really likes it, my video guy I work with likes it, but I don't know. I don't know WHY I didn't like it that much, I think that is why I put it up here.

Anyone else, please feel free to comment as well, good or bad. Just make sure to include why please.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    In my opinion...
    this is a super shot, Mike! I just can't explain why, in a proper manner.

Let me say the background, which would potentially work against the subject, stealing the viewer's attention because of all that contrast and highlights, just isn't doing this here for me. I can still recognize the bride as the real subject, even in a very quick look. So it works for me, and I think it's cool just because it works against the odds, heheh... :D

My only minor quibble would be something like what Lee said: it feels hard for me to read the bride's emotion in her face. Your picture is graphically marvellous, but it lacks somewhat emotionally. If I could communicate right away, without trying too hard, to what the bride was feeling, then the shot would just blow me away!

But as it is, I think 'cool' is a word that suits it well. It's *very cool*!
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2005
    Did the bride like it?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2005
    gluwater wrote:
    Did the bride like it?
    That is the most important question. To me that shot shows quiet thoughtfullness, and I really like it.

James.