a4ac2fab.jpg

Third shot
ISO 1600
shutter 1/800
fstop 5.0
aperchur 5.0
focal 27.0mm
d256e3eb.jpg

I was wondering what am I doing wrong. I had a polarizer on and the was on auto white ballance and I think that was part of the lack of any good color.

How can I take these better.

Ryan
BMW Tech
Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    lose the polarizer. a c-pl filter helps greatly with reflections (like in water) and also to darken and enrich a blue sky ... no need for a pl in situations like this ... you could have been at a much lower iso if you'd have dropped the c-pl deal.gif

cheers
  • Options
    RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    Thanks for the tip. (if you saw my response before I edited it. I realized how lost I was and deleted it.)
    Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2005
    What color space is the camera set to, sRGB or Adobe RGB? (If the Rebel has that choice. My Rebel XT does.)
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    What color space is the camera set to, sRGB or Adobe RGB? (If the Rebel has that choice. My Rebel XT does.)
    It is set to sRGB.

Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2005
    Hi Papy,
    Ah, squadron picknicks; the haircuts give it away.

What could you have done better. Under the circumstances, I think you did pretty well. Your first shot looks a little soft, could have been caused by severe camera shake, but you did catch the ball in flight. You caught some action blur which is nice. A more selective f-stop would have helped you isolate your subject more. All of the shots have busy backgrounds; shooting with a different f-stop or moving to isolate your subject would have helped. Another problem with #2 and #3 is that it's overcast so the contrast is down. A bit of post processing with curves or levels to kick up the contrast would help. Some selective cropping would also help accentuate your subjects.

From what others have said, watch your backgrounds and choose your f-stop carefully to help isolate your subject and yet keep it in sharp focus.

I like #2 the best because of the motion blur.

Thanks for sharing the memory,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited July 25, 2005
    Hiya Papy,

I agree with Chris, you did a pretty good job on these. As Andy pointed out, no need for the pol for these type shots and it cost you 2 stops of ISO. You probably could have gotten these @ ISO400 instead of ISO1600. You will notice as you increase the ISO setting, that not only will you notice more image noise but the dynamic range and color worsen also. Take some similar shots, without the CP and using ISO400, or lower,and I think you will like the color results a lot better :D

Also, most pics can benefit from some level of post processing. Even if it's just a touch of Levels or Curves and a bit of USM. This is really apparent when your histogram shows a hump in the middle with short tails to the right and left. If you spread this "hump" out using Levels or Curves, it will improve the contrast and usually the color too. :):

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2005
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I didnt do any editing specificly to show what Im working with. Sadly I will have to wait another year for another squadron picnic but I do belive there is bowling and mabe some baseball comming up. I think bowling will be a huge challenge though.Thanks again.
    Ryan
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM