yet another try

raingirlraingirl Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited December 28, 2009 in People
okay, i've been trying my hand at self portraits for a while now and this is my newest attempt. taken with my new camera and using a blurring(?) feature it had. anyway, taken in the car on the way to my grandmas for christmas. i'd really appreciate any critiques you guys have.

750520732_mtoDi-M.jpg
I now have control of your mind

Comments

• kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Kinda cool really. Get it in to PS/PSE and balance the whites and grays to get your hat nice and white, then add a little pop to your eyes and I think it will be downright compelling. thumb.gif
    --Kres
  • raingirlraingirl Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    yeah, i'm getting photoshop soon so i'll be able to fix the kinks in the photo. i can't wait.

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    I agree with Kres. And from this shot I get a whole new dimension from what you have posted in the past. great job!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    edited December 28, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    I agree with Kres. And from this shot I get a whole new dimension from what you have posted in the past. great job!
    thanks!

here are some others taken recently-
    751308511_sZvYq-M.jpg

751308439_nbbqb-M.jpg

• kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    The following is complete opinion. deal.gif

#1 - The tilt of the head, and closed eyes are somewhat complementary. As a pose for yourself or your subjects, you might want to try to open them just a bit more. It will add to that contemplative "air" that this photo seems to be pulling for. However, the fall of the hair, the scarf, the lighting, the angle of the cheek bone - this is soooo close to a really great shot it almost hurts. (I've got mountains of shots on that cusp... both tantalizing and torturous. At least it's cheaper in digital then it was in film. But its how you learn and develop a style - so rock on, sally forth and keep pressing the shutter.)

#2 - Emotional response cue that effects "most" humans: We like to see eyes and teeth with a face typically. Take away both, and our heads go into hyper-evaluation. In a photo, this leads to distraction, and not in an interesting way. Even a hint of a smile (teeth or no teeth) of the barest glimpse of the eyes would tone back the trigger response in many ppl's heads and let them start getting into the shot, as opposed sniffing around the edges.

Also, the crop in shot 1 is very good - No hint that it's a self portrait. 2, not so much - the arm gives up the goods.

Oh, and just so you don't misunderstand by the way, independent of the C&C above, I really like #1.

Overall, as a more general commentary, your learning at a really good rate. Most impressive. thumb.gif
    --Kres
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    sooooooooooooooooo...what camera did you get?
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
    edited December 28, 2009
    Kres thanks so much for the critique. I get what your saying about the eyes and mouth. I'm definitely going to keep that in mind. Oh, as for the camera, it's a Sony Cybershot.