First Post......

GambrelGambrel Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited December 29, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi! I am a long time lurker and now I have decided to join up with you guys and gals:clap . I am pretty new to photography and I figured if I posted images here and got some feed back. The only thing it can do for me is make me a better photographer.
My main goal is go get a photo in the 2010 Capture Cincinnati book. This is my first attempt. I do alot of Drag Racing photography so I am out of my norm here. What can I do to make this image better?:bow C & C is welcome!

750626950_jVaea-M.jpg
D90, D40, SB-600, SB-400, 50mm 1.8 and a couple of kit lenes.:thumb

Comments

• thomasjmthomasjm Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    I really like it. I like how you made the sign to be the focus, and the railroad tracks are great for the composition.

Perhaps one suggestion would be is to use a bigger aperature and to try to ever so slightly blur out the end of the tracks to make it look like it almost disappears.
  • GambrelGambrel Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    I should pick up my 50mm prime this week so I will try and shorten the DOF. Do you think a train going by with some motion blur would ad or take away from the photo?

Thanks for your feed back!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Welcome to dgrin :D

I like your first posting. Looking forward to seeing more thumb.gif
    edited December 27, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Welcome to dgrin :D

I like your first posting. Looking forward to seeing more thumb.gif

Thank You!
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Very nice first post Gambrel, and welcome.

I especially like your capturing the light and texture of the scene.

Putting a train in that frame makes it a totally different photograph. Not better, not worse--just different.

M
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
  • gnoojgnooj Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Excellent first post! Digital Grin is a great resource for photographers of all levels of experience. Looking forward to seeing more.
  • ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    This is a fine shot. The only thing I have to offer, when you ask for C&C, you should add the EXIF to aid those whom would offer help....thumb.gif
    edited December 28, 2009
    ritewinger wrote:
    This is a fine shot. The only thing I have to offer, when you ask for C&C, you should add the EXIF to aid those whom would offer help....thumb.gif

Whoops!

Shutter 1/500
    F4.5
    ISO 200
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    Hi Gambrel and welcome! wave.gif

I like your sepia processing on this one. I actually had a double take on the sign because the shadows are a bit dark, I thought it just said "Priority Trespassing" (which would be fantastic in my book, hehehe).

The shot is cool but I don't see much of a story here that compels me to keep looking. Unless, of course, this is an area that locals would know for your book. It might totally be a well-known spot and in which case, just ignore me. lol3.gif
    edited December 29, 2009
    Thanks Schmoo! This is the kind of info I was looking for. This is not a spot alot of local people would know about. I am pretty sure the book has been out a few years so I want to try and capture the spots that people may not know of. I just knew it was missing something and I couldn't figure it out. I might try it with the train rolling by and see if that adds alittle story to the photo.

Thanksthumb.gif