Shooting with Older Lenses

ippoicippoic Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited December 29, 2009 in Cameras
Does anybody shoot regularly with older Nikon lenses that do not meter or AF? What are your experiences?

Currently I use my old E series 50 mm Nikon lens along with my 18-200 VR and I used to shoot 35 mm, so I'm comfortable with metering and adjusting everything manually. Anyway, I've been looking at picking up a bunch of older lenses for less money than splurging on one or two newer lenses. I know that I'd need to pick up a light meter, too.

Thanks guys (and gals)!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 27, 2009
    ippoic wrote:
    Does anybody shoot regularly with older Nikon lenses that do not meter or AF? What are your experiences?

Currently I use my old E series 50 mm Nikon lens along with my 18-200 VR and I used to shoot 35 mm, so I'm comfortable with metering and adjusting everything manually. Anyway, I've been looking at picking up a bunch of older lenses for less money than splurging on one or two newer lenses. I know that I'd need to pick up a light meter, too.

Thanks guys (and gals)!

Ippoic, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

I'm not a Nikon shooter so I'll gave to defer to others' experiences, but hopefully you won't wait too long.

It would help to know the camera body(ies) you are using.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    I use my older Nikon F lenses on my EOS 20 D. Works well. For the 5D you will have to check out the compatability for each lens. I use an M 42 adaptor Nikon to EOS. In addition you can pick up some nice Russian glass as well.
    Here is a link that may help. :D

http://forum.mflenses.com/index.php?sid=d98b1b2f389f0c76eba9a844ef5bc3a0

Link for 5D M42 compatability.
    http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/index.html
    Bob
  • gowiththeflowgowiththeflow Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    I have the same 50mm Series E lens. I figured it was cheap enough, and it could be fun to play with setting exposure totally manually, without the aid of metering. That, and it's just plain tiny- front and rear caps practically double its size, and it's cheaper than a UV filter. rolleyes1.gif

But that got kind of old fast, so I decided to switch to the 50mm 1.8 AF-D... I can always lose metering by changing the aperture with the ring, or focus manually with the flip of a switch, but still have AF and metering when I want it. And it's still cheap and small too.
  • skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    I'm using an older 28-105 Vivitar Series 1, with my D200. Put it on aperture and I just dial in the aperture for the speed I want. Or, select the aperture for the desired DOF and I'm off to the races. It'll meter with a Series E as well. I have an older 135 f3.5 Nikkor that works the same way. I'm told you need a D200/300 series camera for this to work though? Even the little (you're in focus, stop screwing with it) light in the view finder works.thumb.gif
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    I have two and use them often on my D90: 55/3.5 micro AI and 105/2.5 AIS. They both yield sterling images and using them on the D90 (entirely manual) is excellent discipline. I have the PK-17 extension tube which allows the 55/3.5 to do 1:1 macro images. I paid $150 for the 105 and $125 for the 55+extension tube.