Options

Maria's Family

TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
edited December 27, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Earlier I posted a photograph of an exhausted Maria napping on one of the trucks (they have two trucks and a trailer) her family brings to the Plant City Farmer's Market. As is my custom whenever possible, I make sure the people I photograph don't object to being photographed. Maria's husband was delighted to have the family photographed.

These are very hard-working people who leave home at the crack of dawn in hopes of selling all of their produce - watermelon, for this family - that day. Why BD thinks this presents a negative stereotype is beyond me.

The son:

561692877_3KBLP-XL.jpg

The daughter. She was shy when the picture was taken, but when I showed it to her in the LCD monitor she giggled and said OK.

561695073_qPDVE-XL.jpg

Maria's mother or mother-in-law (My Spanish is not good). Also shy.

561695142_BHmw9-XL.jpg

And Maria's husband:

561694431_YRr8j-XL.jpg
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Nice portraits. I like ## 1 and 3 best and I especially love the one of the hat and the mother.

The one of the daughter is graphically very pleasing and even though she is turned away and I wish I could see her face, the picture works for me. It makes me want to know more about her.

Nice of the husband too.

Thank you for sharing.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Earlier I posted a photograph of an exhausted Maria napping on one of the trucks (they have two trucks and a trailer) her family brings to the Plant City Farmer's Market. As is my custom whenever possible, I make sure the people I photograph don't object to being photographed. Maria's husband was delighted to have the family photographed.

These are very hard-working people who leave home at the crack of dawn in hopes of selling all of their produce - watermelon, for this family - that day. Why BD thinks this presents a negative stereotype is beyond me.

Okay, first, Tony - I was working on the assumption that Maria was African American - which she definitely looks to be in the original image. If that were the case, and you can't understand why the image might then at least be worth discussing in terms of taste and racial sensitities, I certainly have nothing more to say on the subject.mwink.gif

In terms of these images, I LOVE the shot of the mother-in-law/mother - terrific. clap.gifclap.gif The combination of the hat, with its daisies, and the smile, tell us a great deal about her personality.clap.gifclap.gif

I'd lose the one of the daughter - she may have grinned and said okay, but all you have is a photo of someone who didn't want her photo taken...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed