Options

Why is everything Fuzzy -20d

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited July 27, 2005 in Technique
Hello everyone. I've had my 20D for a couple months now and I'm fighting with the focus (i think). I have the camera setup so the sharpness it turned up 100%. I fight this slight fuzzy on just about every photo. Sometimes I will get a perfect focus but rare. Click on the photo below to see the original and you see on the child's face what I'm talking about. I'm aiming at his nose on this photo.

Please Help!!!
kc7dji

29549050-M.jpg

Here's the Photo Detail

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    Some exif may help.
    What apt ect.
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    Some exif may help.
    What apt ect.
    Here Ya go.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    I'm surprised that the camera chose such a high AV. I would think 5.6 or even lower would be fine for a shot like this.

Also, in outdoor light, especially during peak sunlight, I recommend at least -0.33 0r -0.67 EC.

Is this on all lenses that you this issue? What lens did you use on this one.

And just for giggles, make sure the lens didn't get switched to MF. I know it happens a lot on my 70-200 and also on the Tamron 28-75 I used to have.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    maybe my old eyes. looks sharp to me
    does look overexp though and that may cause the soft look under nose??
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    Did you focus and recompose?
    His shirt looks more in focus than his face.
    Were you using the center focus point?
    What lens are you using or does this happen on all lenses?
    I thinks at f10 he should be all in focus.
  • Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2005
    Does your camera have one of those adjustable viewfinder's? Could be set wrong.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    There's a great thread in fredmiranda.com that covers the 20D focusing topic. Here's a link:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/241524

In summary though, the autofocus is good to within some tolerance. When you blow up shots on the screen (like we all tend to do when evaluating our digital images) you will see defocused portions of the image because the tolerances are set for 6 x 9 print viewed from 10 inches away.

Try stoping down a bit more to get more depth of focus. This will help your exposure as well.

Erich
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    Does your camera have one of those adjustable viewfinder's? Could be set wrong.
    This brings up a question. How do you know if the diopter is set wrong? I usually look through the viewfinder and set the diopter to what looks best to me...but, that will be wrong (relative to what the CCD/CMOS chip sees) if the camera lens is slightly defocused (i.e., the diopter setting is compensating for the lens defocus).

Erich
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2005
    Just a guess, but it maybe a slight camera shake