Ebay question

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited December 31, 2009 in Cameras
OK rhetorical question.

I was killing time and thought I would see if there were any lens deals on ebay.

While i wasn't expecting to find a 300mm 2.8L IS for $100.00, I was very confused to see lens after lens with buy now or bid prices exceedeing the new price from B&H.

What the heck is this? Are people that dumb?

Don't answer. :D

Sam

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 28, 2009
    Unfortunately there are people who will not shop around and will assume that "any" EBay price is legitimate and fair. ne_nau.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 28, 2009
    It's hard to believe people could be that stupid, especially on an on-line auction where it takes just a few clicks to get an actual price from B&H or Amazon.

Have you ever been to a real auction? I think they're even worse. I used to be into woodworking, and once went to a tool auction thinking I could get great deals on used woodworking tools. At the auction, I saw rusted-out contractor's table saws sell for prices as high or even higher than new. I left in disgust, and haven't been back to an auction since. :nah
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 28, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    ... Have you ever been to a real auction? I think they're even worse. I used to be into woodworking, and once went to a tool auction thinking I could get great deals on used woodworking tools. At the auction, I saw rusted-out contractor's table saws sell for prices as high or even higher than new. I left in disgust, and haven't been back to an auction since. :nah

Sorry we are hijacking this thread, but I got a very nice Blaupunkt table radio at an auction as well as a stereo viewer from the turn of the (previous) century and stereo slides, and even a Graflex folding camera with this wonderful old lens (the camera was sold as a "Polaroid" just because they didn't know what they had):

attachment.php?attachmentid=23170&stc=1&d=1205446478
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pward76pward76 Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    OK rhetorical question.

I was killing time and thought I would see if there were any lens deals on ebay.

While i wasn't expecting to find a 300mm 2.8L IS for $100.00, I was very confused to see lens after lens with buy now or bid prices exceedeing the new price from B&H.

What the heck is this? Are people that dumb?

Don't answer. :D

Sam

Well - even though you said "Don't answer", I will chime in anyway. Yes, people are that dumb. It's called 'bidding fever". People fixate on an impulse buy and temporarily lose their minds.

Some auctions are like that, others are just the opposite with items going for much less than "usual". I have seen guys in their 70's and 80's buying stuff at an auction and paying full price, and I wonder how long it will be before their family is selling that same tool...

Myfather goes to auctions and will sort throught the boxes of "little stuff" that they lump together. I've seen him "re-combine" the contents to get all the things he wants into one box so he can bid on just that one.

Auctions are like a box of chocolates..... and online auctions can be just the same.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    many people do not, as mention above, check to see what B&H, Adorama or even Cameta is selling the items for....and the sellers get very p***ed off if you pm them on the price......a couple of weeks ago ran across an auction for a Flash Bracket- stroboframe.....and knowing what I paid for mine new...the price was really inexpensive, normally I do not buy without a buy it now button...i hate dealing with people who just run the price up......so I emailed the seller as the photo showed only part of the bracket...but it was billed "like new" ready to go etc etc......I asked where the upright and flash arm were....in the box maybe??? nope it was as shown.....so I explained to him (his alis was showing as a photo dealer not just joe blo.....) what was missing and that it was unusable as anything besides a camera rotator as there was no where to mount the flash.......
    Man he got p***y......so yes Ebay is definitely a BUYER BE WARE site..........a lot of sellers do not know or care what they really have and care less if it is priced too high.....

I buy quite a bit off ebay....but I also research it my purchases prior to buying....................

I also follow my gut feelings about the purchases and they are 99.9% correct.........................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Actually not only does eBay and real auctions have the bidding war going for it, but it has the "everything is cheaper here" going for it just like big box stores. I have known a lot of people who go to Costco/Sams/whatever because they think Everything is cheaper, well they don't bother to compare or check prices and a lot of times things aren't cheaper at those places.

Another thing is that for someone in EU paying $25 more then list might not be bad if the shipper offers free or discounted shipping, ordering from retailers can get expensive for them and I hear photo gear is very marked up over there. I'm no expert, but that's one of the things I thought of when reading this thread.

Also, people really can be that dumb. headscratch.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    I just bought a lens on line, for 60$ less than B&H. It's new, and included shipping. I'll post again when it gets here.
    I use B&H and stores like it whenever I shop Ebay. So far, so good.
    Lyle
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    Thanks for all your replies. I have to say I have never bought anything from ebay. I would rather spend a little more and deal with a reputable company that will take care of me if there any issues.

I just recently had an issue with a Lacie rugged tough portable HD. Amazon replaced it no questions asked and shipped before they received the defective unit back, and also credited the shipping.

Especially with expensive items like a lens. Seveal years ago I bought a 70 200 2.8 L non IS. It worked well for day or two then I went on a trip and it just flat failed. When I returned from my trip Kebeble & Shuchat replaced imediatly off the shelf.

This type of service is worth $$ to me.

Sam
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    Back in the old days when I used to sell on Fleabay, I never set a price for minimum bids on used computer parts and, the last few hours of the bidding always amazed me. An item I would have sold for $20 went for $40 which I liked but, to me it was insanity. I havent even been there for years unless it is because someone put up a link asking about something, otherwise I avoid it like the plague.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/