Options

Moon Light only Landscapes- Wha'd'ya think

AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited June 5, 2004 in Wildlife
I found myself intrigued by the unique pattern of noise which appeared within my photographic images when "shot" with my digital camera (Nikon 5700), using only low light ambient light sources (extremely low) and longer exposure times. Again I photographed my neighbors farm as the subject.
These photos have received minimal touch up in photoshop, to remove only overly bright pixels, and to adjust levels and contrast. Color differences were caused by the length of the exposure and the variation of the available ambient light, as the clouds moved over the moon, which was my primary light source and a small mercury vapor lamp above the barn, well in the distance.
I would appreciate if you would:
Please let me know what you think, and how these photos make you feel.

Looking forward to a few comments.

ginette

4816777-L.jpg

4816776-L.jpg

Towards the Fullmoon
4828907-L.jpg
"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2004
    This is a very interesting idea. I like the subject a lot. The noise is interesting, I think it works. The second one is magical. It would be interesting if you could get more control over the noise. Not to remove it completely, but to play with various points along the spectrum and to change the look of it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited June 4, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    I found myself intrigued by the unique pattern of noise which appeared within my photographic images when "shot" with my digital camera (Nikon 5700), using only low light ambient light sources (extremely low) and longer exposure times. Again I photographed my neighbors farm as the subject.
    These photos have received minimal touch up in photoshop, to remove only overly bright pixels, and to adjust levels and contrast. Color differences were caused by the length of the exposure and the variation of the available ambient light, as the clouds moved over the moon, which was my primary light source and a small mercury vapor lamp above the barn, well in the distance.
    I would appreciate if you would:
    Please let me know what you think, and how these photos make you feel.
    Looking forward to a few comments.

ginette

4816777-L.jpg

4816776-L.jpg
    Ginette - Could you please post your exposure data for the viewers and your camera brand and ISO?

I agree that this technique is an interesting approach to landscape photography.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Ginette - Could you please post your exposure data for the viewers and your camera brand and ISO?
    I agree that this technique is an interesting approach to landscape photography.
    For the Farm image, not the silos,
    Exposure manual: 18 seconds
    f: 6.3
    ISO: 100
    metering: spot
    light source: ambient Moonlight
    & Barn Merc Vapor Lamp (300 meters away)
    Nikon E5700 (coolpix)

Spot metered similarly as I would for Zone photography, metering the moonlight on the wheat field as "middle gray" metering the lamp on the barn for highlights, and trees as shadow, took five metered readings, compensated as best as I could with the digital, instead of Large format, not knowing exactly how the sensor would handle such a long exposure, and bracketed + & - 3. Shot off a total of 80 shots of various scenes at various exposures that night, but most are rather similar in appeal. So I only posted the few... If it were not for the pouring rain the last two nights, I would be outside right now.
    Hope this helps.
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2004
    Next competition....

Did i mention my camera has a f1.8 ?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Did i mention my camera has a f1.8 ?

Only once today.

Alt, have you tried playing with Noise Ninja to ride the noise levels?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2004
    Alt, here's the one I like, with quite a bit of noise removal.

4840312-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Alt, here's the one I like, with quite a bit of noise removal.

4840312-L.jpg
    4816776-L.jpg

Sid, I think I personally like the noise. But I've never heard of the "Noise Ninja?" Please explain?
    Thanks luv.
    ginette
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2004
    Ginette the more noise the better, IMO
    I love noise, except at noon. Don't think it looks very appropriate in most extremely well lit landscape shots. But I love your noise, it adds to how I feel.
    I feel nostalgic and jealous. That is how I feel mostly,envious, smile. I love the picture with all the noise, and also, I have no neighboring farm I want to shoot by moonlight, no tri pod, etc. And that is OK. The one other thing that strikes me is that the coloring is like it is in the shots of the Iraq war (s). Hope they don't start sending in rockets where you are. ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2004
    Thank you
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I love noise, except at noon. Don't think it looks very appropriate in most extremely well lit landscape shots. But I love your noise, it adds to how I feel.
    I feel nostalgic and jealous. That is how I feel mostly,envious, smile. I love the picture with all the noise, and also, I have no neighboring farm I want to shoot by moonlight, no tri pod, etc. And that is OK. The one other thing that strikes me is that the coloring is like it is in the shots of the Iraq war (s). Hope they don't start sending in rockets where you are. ginger
    Thank You , Ginger....:sweet
    Don't be jealous...
    Get a tri-pod! Try e-bay. Great prices if you are careful for what you are buying!
    ginette