Joslyn

raingirlraingirl Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited January 28, 2010 in People
These are some photos i took of my friend Joslyn, she's 16. Taken up at a park near my house. I used my old camera, a Nikon Coolpix, and Microsoft Photo Editor. I would love critiques.

669866335_MSAmT-M.jpg

669866452_FfMQg-M.jpg

669863014_gfd4e-M.jpg

669862568_jjvwf-M.jpg

669862457_DcXpN-M.jpg

669861400_wM9kT-M.jpg

669860134_Uc4LM-M.jpg
I now have control of your mind

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    Of the group.....# 2 would have to be my favorite. Watch your (hers) hand placement....you've 86d her fingers on the left hand. I would have also cropped that one to just above the top concrete step, excluding all of the background (building, tress, etc.) completely
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Cute girl, nice poses and expressions. Looks like the focus was soft on most of the images. Several are also dark, at least on my monitor here at work, so may need more PP.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    I like the pose in number 2. Watch the hand though, cause you've cut off her fingers. I'd also crop out from the top of the stairs up.

I really like the use of the chain link fence to frame her face. Next time, if you do it again, try and tilt her head so that the fence doesn't cut through her forehead. I think that this is a very nice shot, just tilt the head a bit more next time.

As for number 5, watch the hands. Hook a thumb in a pocket or belt loop, or even put her hands behind her back so she is resting on them. To me it doesn't look very natural. Otherwise, its a very nice shot although maybe a bit too much of an angle for my taste. :D

Overall, nice job with a point and shoot. Number 3 is my favourite, just remember to tilt a bit to fit the whole face within the framing of the fence link.

Take Care,
    Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    leegoch wrote:
    So my friend ask me to take some pictures. I normally take pictures of trees and mountains. They don't move and you don't have to tell them what to do. Anyways please let me know what you all think. I posted a few here but the rest are at my smugmug.

Perhaps start your own thread???
    Just a thought....
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    I really like the comp of #5 but it needs more light on the subject and I don't like the branch coming out of her head. In it, though, you put a lot of elements together very nicely.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    1 & 2 are my favorites - by far. Love the composition and the setting.

#4 - your camera got fooled by the backlighting, resulting in an under-exposed shot. Normally, looking up someone's nostrils is not a goodness.

And, I like the last one as well. The lines I see there just seem to work for me.

Looking at the source gallery, it's plain to me that your equipment was limiting your ability to get a "technically" good shot (focus, exposure, etc). But, these images are so much more than just a set of technical settings - good work and I'm sooo looking forward to seeing more from you.