Tis the season

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited December 29, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
ok, so I posted here that I have been in a rut creatively for a while now. Things that I would shoot, just dont look right, I can shoot an entire card and not be happy with the out come. I seem to be able to see the exposure the way I want it in my head, but just not get that captured no matter what I try. So after posting I was driving home for the day thinking of all the shots that I missed Christmas this year - part due to the fact that I have not bought a flash yet and part because I just could not snap it at the time or angle.

Long story short, I came home thinking focus "Brv" focus. Then I had an idea - why focus? Try something different that you would never shoot.

So this is what I came up with - I would like you CC - please be gentle - I am already in a rut lol.

FYI - these are straight from the camera - I have not had time to PP at all, maybe with the right feedback it will drive my direction PP wise as well. All shot in manual mode, RAW, exif should be intact. If you wish to edit, please do, but be polite and let me know the work flow etc that you performed so that I can learn from you.

Star light
752001415_jhEja-M.jpg

Different shot than #1 (this is not #1 cropped)
752001977_9pZVG-M.jpg

752002675_kAQPa-M.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    I prefer the second. You know exactly what it is, and the way the lights are defocused makes it a very cool abstract, IMO. Nifty idea...!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I prefer the second. You know exactly what it is, and the way the lights are defocused makes it a very cool abstract, IMO. Nifty idea...!

Thanks Andrew :) that was my favorite as well, although I admit that I am using #3 as my desktop wallpaper.

Do you have any ideas about PP for the 2nd shot?
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    See if you like this. Drop your blacks a ton (in CS4 I ran it up to 90) and push the grey-point back toward 2. It will drop that bg out and make the spots very independent of that beige coming through. ALso, the center of the star really makes a star shape.

treelights.jpg

Just a thought...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    I like it :)

I had not PP yet, but another pointed out the brownish tint as well. I do like how the colors become independent - good call :).