Move to gallery - remove watermark

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited January 4, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Sometimes when I post pictures on Dgrin I want them to display on DGrin without my watermark (watermark is applied in SmugMug and is gallery specific). I have tried to copy the photo to one of my unlisted galleries that is not watermarked but the watermark from the first gallery seems to travel with the photo and then that photo is the only one in the other gallery with the watermark. Is there a way to remove the SmugMug watermark when moving pictures from gallery to gallery in SmugMug?? Thanks

Stephanie

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    no, sorry. you have to remove the watermark in a separate action.
  • takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    no, sorry. you have to remove the watermark in a separate action.

So you would have to upload another copy of the picture to the non-watermarked gallery?
    I'm not following "separate action," Andy.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    It's actually a "several-action" process the way I've figured it out.

First you need several watermarks created in your account, one of them that is essentially a blank png watermark with no text.

If you move an image from one gallery that has a watermark into a gallery that has a watermark in the setting, you have already discovered that the watermark from the old gallery moves along with the display images. What you need to do first is to apply a watermark, any of them, to the whole gallery. Allow the new watermark to set to the gallery.

Next, as it seems that Smugmug has removed the checkbox "Apply to existing photos in gallery" from the option of "No Watermark", the next thing you need to do is to go back into the gallery settings and apply the blank watermark, and voila, it goes away!

It was a while back when the option said "Customize Gallery" instead of "Gallery Settings" that we still could just simply remove the watermark and have it dissappear from the display images as well.

Or of course, as suggested, you could just re-upload a fresh image to your gallery..
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Thanks for that explanation Mark. That is what I was looking for, although I wish it was a different answer. I guess if I copy a large number of pictures to another gallery I would use your method, but for just one or two it is probably just easier to upload the picture again like you said. Thanks.

Stephanie
  • RedFotoRedFoto Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    Removing watermarks
    Thanks for that explanation Mark. That is what I was looking for, although I wish it was a different answer. I guess if I copy a large number of pictures to another gallery I would use your method, but for just one or two it is probably just easier to upload the picture again like you said. Thanks.

Stephanie

I do this regularly and do not apply a blank watermark. this is the explanation of the method from ann. I use this and have no problem.
    Tools
    More
    Watermarking
    Select all
    Remove Watermark
    Watermark

"Thanks for contacting SmugMug. I used the watermark tool in the gallery tools menu (under Many Photos>More) to remove the watermarks. It can take a while, but I see that they are starting to be removed. Please let us know if you have any further questions. We are always happy to help"

you need to do this action then wait a while, as it is put into effect

Red
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    Exactly - there is a watermarking tool within the gallery tools menu that allows you to add, remove or replace watermarks on an image by image basis. Much less complex than having a blank png I believe, and should be easier than uploading anew.

ann
    RedFoto wrote:
    I do this regularly and do not apply a blank watermark. this is the explanation of the method from ann. I use this and have no problem.
    Tools
    More
    Watermarking
    Select all
    Remove Watermark
    Watermark

"Thanks for contacting SmugMug. I used the watermark tool in the gallery tools menu (under Many Photos>More) to remove the watermarks. It can take a while, but I see that they are starting to be removed. Please let us know if you have any further questions. We are always happy to help"

you need to do this action then wait a while, as it is put into effect

Red
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    I know the official explanation, and it certainly would be simpler, BUT.. it doesn't always work.

There was a system and feature update a while back, and before that rollout, when one selected "No" in the Watermark section, it would not remove the watermarks for as long as a week. I tested it. This was the only way I could come up with to make sure that it happened. If it works for you, then great!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..