Good News / Bad News: Lens Repair

kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
edited December 30, 2009 in Cameras
Long story short - I got my hands on a Nikon 50mm 1.4D for free.

Yes. Free.

However, here is the catch: The focus ring is about 5x harder to turn compared to my 50mm 1.8D - and it will not autofocus on anybody I own. The motor twitches it - but there is too much friction to get it to move.

So, I guess I'm looking at getting a lens repaired - this would be a first for me - I take VERY good care of my toys, mostly cause I'm cheap!

Any Nikonions have experience sending out lenses for repair? Any ball park on what this "free lens" might cost me? I also see that the warranty card is still in the box - any downside to filling it out and sending the lens out in 30 days or so? :deal

Thanks!
--Kres

Comments

• kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    Well... that's the odd part. The gifter doesn't know what happened.

Looking at the lens, it's in perfect cosmetic condition. Not a scratch, dent, or spec of dirt on it. headscratch.gif
    --Kres
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 30, 2009
    The lens will have a serial number and date code on it. If the lens is very old, Nikon may not honor the warranty card if it is represented as a newly purchased item.

Lens repair is never a flat rate. If the lens is out of warranty then the repair costs may vary by the actual damage or default. If the lens was subjected to some extreme of physical distress it may only be detectable upon disassembly of the lens. It may a simple lube job or there could be internal damage to the focus clutch, as an example.

If it is the current Nikkor 50mm, f1.4D, they sell for a little over $300USD new (up to around $370). If you want to send in the warranty card, that's fine. Nikon may also require a copy of the invoice, or they may not. If you then send the lens in for inspection/repairs, you can stipulate that you need an estimate of any costs before repairs and you can attempt to claim the lens as new. I just would not get upset if "Nikon" doesn't consider the lens as new.

If there should be an estimate for charges outside of warranty you can make the decision to repair based against the value you place on the lens. Since you have nothing invested into the lens, and since the lens is originally worth $300 or so, I would suggest that repairs up to $250USD might be considered (about the value of a used 50mm, f1.4D lens in a private sale.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    kres wrote:
    Well... that's the odd part. The gifter doesn't know what happened.

Looking at the lens, it's in perfect cosmetic condition. Not a scratch, dent, or spec of dirt on it. headscratch.gif

Not certain about Nikon repair, but then, they made the lens~

I have sent lenses for repair to KEH, they did a fine job for me~
    tom wise
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    I had that exact lens repaired for the same problem. Cost $150 or so and took about 3 weeks IIRC.
  • ole docole doc Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    there is an outfit in D.C. Strauss Photo repair or such. They have a place in NorthEast with a parking lot. Call them and see how they suggest handling this. Doubt they will give an estimate over the phone. They are Nikon lens repair shop.
    You are looking at more than $200
    Nick