Why Does This Happen????

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited December 31, 2009 in Cameras
I'm testing out my new lens and I saw this happen. These are 2 photos taken in sequence. One is focused and the other one isn't. The photo previous to the unfocused one is focused. So there's a blur happening. I noticed it happening in my other 2 lenses. Is this a tripod issue, a focusing issue or am I firing my remote before it can focus right? I've noticed sometimes that when I put my eye to the eyepiece it will slip a little, but I won't take the photo till I adjust it or tighten it. I know I need a new head...that I'm getting soon.

Thank for your help :D

Blur --

753207870_3MS23-L.jpg

Clearer

753207955_6Kpaz-L.jpg

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    Is it blur due to camera shake, or is it out of focus (two distinctly different things, and difficult to see on a lo-res version of the picture) - need to look closely at the original

1) Is it happening when you use manual focus?
    2) have you tried delaying the shutter (delay the operation of shutter so that the camera on the tripod has a chance to stabilize after to press the shutter button)
    3) Have you tried locking up the mirror (sometimes the movement of the mirror will cause vibration)

HTH -
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Is it blur due to camera shake, or is it out of focus (two distinctly different things, and difficult to see on a lo-res version of the picture) - need to look closely at the original

1) Is it happening when you use manual focus?
    2) have you tried delaying the shutter (delay the operation of shutter so that the camera on the tripod has a chance to stabilize after to press the shutter button)
    3) Have you tried locking up the mirror (sometimes the movement of the mirror will cause vibration)

HTH -
    - Wil

Hi Wil --

1. No it happens on Autofocus.
    2. No I haven't tried that. I thought my remote would be the best option, but I may of been setting off my remote to fast.
    3. Never have locked up the mirror -- haven't learned how to do that yet :D

Can I link you to the original? The photos were taken on my tripod.
  • bmoreshooterbmoreshooter Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    Alot depends on what you are focusing on and which focus mode you are using. When there are no distinct contrasting lines many camera/lens combinations will jump around while trying to find the correct focus. Start by process of elimination. Shoot several frames with the camera set to manual focus and compare. Use a shuttter speed fast enough to eliminate camera shake.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 30, 2009
    I'm going out on a limb here...Were the photos taken in rapid sequence? Are you using a nikon lens with VR? If yes to both questions, the VR acts "strange" with the camera on a tripod. Could it be the one shot the VR was "on" and the second shot the VR was "searching"...
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    captain78 wrote:
    I'm going out on a limb here...Were the photos taken in rapid sequence? Are you using a nikon lens with VR? If yes to both questions, the VR acts "strange" with the camera on a tripod. Could it be the one shot the VR was "on" and the second shot the VR was "searching"...

She shoots Canon......Not Nikon...........But it could very well be that the Stabilization was locked on in one pic and searching on the other......

wait....wait...don't tell me

....she was shooting on tripod...the stabilization should have been turned OFF.....if not that could be the problem...all camera manufacturers reported that stabilization could cause camera movement on tripod if turned on............

Mary.....
    Was the stabilization turned on or off???? Or did the lens you were using even have stabilization?????
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 30, 2009
    I tried looking at the X3 size, but it's still fairly low-res compared to the original. Based on the two you posted, it looks like focus rather than shake.

You could just post a small piece (say 100x100 pixels of the original full-res picture as an attachment (not sure what the max allowed is) of each (have them contain some detail - e.g. small spikey thing just underneath the orange glove thingy…), and we could take a look at those.

HTH -
    - Wil
    edited December 30, 2009
    Hi Everyone :D

I use a Canon and I had the stabilizer off :D It was mounted on a tripod and I used a remote to take the photos. Maybe I was going to fast....I don't know, but I do know that it's bothering me that this happens. I did notice that the lens did some hunting before it settled and then I took the photo. Maybe I messed up, but with all three lenses -- I went through my photos in sequence and can see it happend multiple times. Clear, clear, unclear, clear, unclear, etc.

Here's a link to a gallery I started on my site. http://www.dogdotsphotography.com/TEST/WHY-DOES-IT-DO-THIS/10804089_sK3SN#753279572_9ruJo

You can get the original there I'm hoping. No editing has been done. Probably should of lightened them for you...sorry about that. If you need that done just let me know :D

Thanks to all of you for helping me out -- I appreciate this so much.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 30, 2009
    Thanks for posting the link to the gallery with original images.

It's fairly tough in these images to find a sharp edge on which to focus. The subject is also in pretty low contrast lighting. I think that Live View would have been an appropriate focus aid in this instance, and even then it might take some careful attention to determine what should be focussed upon.

Tough subject (fuzzy material with no pattern and fluffy snow) and tough lighting.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 30, 2009
    I focused in the center of the toy.

I can do this again with no problem as I want to know what is going on. If you could suggest a subject matter that would be better that would help me out a lot. I walk around the house trying to figure out what to take a photo of. With all the junk I have you'd think it would be an easy thing to do :D
    edited December 30, 2009
    Sheet of newspaper, classified section preferably, hung on wall. Camera on tripod, square to the wall.

- Wil
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 30, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Sheet of newspaper, classified section preferably, hung on wall. Camera on tripod, square to the wall.

- Wil

I agree.

I also suggest that for a critical focus test that you place the subject at least twice MFD (Minimum Focus Distance). Most zoom lenses do not do their best at MFD (in my tests at least).

My EF 135mm, f2L USM is also somewhat soft at MFD for that matter. Give it a little room and it's sharp even wide open at f2. By f5.6 it is the best lens I have ever tested.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 30, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:

- Wil

Ok...I can do this :D
    edited December 30, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I agree.

I also suggest that for a critical focus test that you place the subject at least twice MFD (Minimum Focus Distance). Most zoom lenses do not do their best at MFD (in my tests at least).

My EF 135mm, f2L USM is also somewhat soft at MFD for that matter. Give it a little room and it's sharp even wide open at f2. By f5.6 it is the best lens I have ever tested.

Before I do the classified photo taking I need to know what you mean about MFD? Does that mean I should stand about 8 to 9 ft. away? What mm's do you want me to shoot at?
    edited December 30, 2009
    I didn't forget to take the newspaper photo -- will do it tomorrow when I have sunlight :D Will post them tomorrow.
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    Also check if you have your AF on "focus priority" or canon's equivalent.
    edited December 31, 2009
    insanefred wrote:
    Also check if you have your AF on "focus priority" or canon's equivalent.

Well I'm be darn rolleyes1.gif There is two different distance ranges. That could of been the problem. I was definitly further then 4.6 ft. from my subject in the photos I posted. I should of set the lens to the 2.5m/8.2 ft.

I'll be reshooting again as soon as the sun moves to the spot of the house I'd like it to be in.

Thanks thumb.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 31, 2009
    Mary, you don't need to wait for sunlight.

Flash will minimize the significance of camera movement due to the shutter and the mirror assembly.

It is better of the flash is off the camera but not really necessary. You can bounce a speedlight off the wall or a ceiling from the hot shoe to light the newspaper.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Hi Wil --

1. No it happens on Autofocus.
    2. No I haven't tried that. I thought my remote would be the best option, but I may of been setting off my remote to fast.
    3. Never have locked up the mirror -- haven't learned how to do that yet :D

Can I link you to the original? The photos were taken on my tripod.
    Good Afternoon MK,
    This (#3) is where live view comes in handy mwink.gif Talk to you later.
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...
    edited December 31, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Mary, you don't need to wait for sunlight.

Flash will minimize the significance of camera movement due to the shutter and the mirror assembly.

It is better of the flash is off the camera but not really necessary. You can bounce a speedlight off the wall or a ceiling from the hot shoe to light the newspaper.

I just have an on camera flash -- but I'll do it now and get it posted soon. Thanks pathfinder :D
    edited December 31, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Afternoon MK,
    This (#3) is where live view comes in handy mwink.gif Talk to you later.
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...

Oh Jim.....live view rolleyes1.gif

Someday I'll surprise ya and finally learn how to do it :D
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    I think its your AF retrying to focus , I would put it in Manual focus, then try your consecutive shots as your focus will stay and not have to hunt.
    edited December 31, 2009
    CookieS wrote:
    I think its your AF retrying to focus , I would put it in Manual focus, then try your consecutive shots as your focus will stay and not have to hunt.

I'm thinking you might be right. I just took some photos and am downloading then now.
    edited December 31, 2009
    I tooks some photos of the newspaper with the 70-200 lens. Here is the link to take a look. Out of over 20 shots these are the 3 shots that had a blur. It's the middle photo -- I included previous and after shot of the blurred photo for reference. I notice that if you click from 1st photo through the 3rd photo you can see a shifting in the newspaper. Is that normal? I've always seen that before, but thought I'd ask about it now.

I did lighten them for you, but that is all. My flash is terrible. Better start my Christmas list for next year :D

I did change the focus setting on the lens to 2.5/8.2 ft when I was further away. It was only at 200mm that it blurred in the one photo, but I remembered to change back to the other setting for focus :D It wouldn't/couldn't even find a focal point till I re-set it -- Thats a good reminder :D

Tested my 24-105 lens too and only thing I noticed is that with the same settings and flash that all 3 photos have a different brightness. I'll say the 1st is dark..the 2nd is lighter...the 3rd is between the dark and lighter. Can there be variances in flash too? Something tells me there can be :D

I'm starting to think I'm just going to fast -- do you all think so too?

Thank-you all for your help with this -- it's so appreciated :D

Edit: Oops..forgot to tell you where I focused -- its in the car ad describing the car features.