Options

Happy New Year (18+)

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited January 13, 2010 in Go Figure
As I mentioned recently, my friend Danya was passing our area by on her way from her parents (where she stayed for Xmas), and we had a quick shoot. We didn't have any particular ideas in mind, except she wanted to pose wearing her skirt and pearls, I wanted some Xmas/NY stuff, and most of all I'm really into "one light" these days, so we kinda got all that.

#1: Gray Skirt Sitting

753508953_E6Z7D-XL.jpg

#2: Pearls and Hair

753508985_hbVSp-XL.jpg

#3: Nothing to hide

753508993_Fv6SP-XL.jpg

#4: Just sitting

753508811_gb2Wu-XL.jpg

#5: A girl with a book

753508820_YL9ap-XL.jpg

#6: Santa

753508914_eEpAZ-XL.jpg

#7: Xmas Pinup

753508942_gqqWq-XL.jpg

#8: New Year Poster

753508893_SpByr-XL.jpg

Enjoy! C&C welcome!

This post was made with the assistance of Star*Explorer
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    #6: Santa

753508914_eEpAZ-L.jpg
    Nik, I definitely prefer this Santa over the old bearded chubby guy.rolleyes1.gif
    You're doing wonders even with one light.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2009
    Cuong wrote:
    Nik, I definitely prefer this Santa over the old bearded chubby guy.rolleyes1.gif
    You're doing wonders even with one light.

Cuong
    Thanks! thumb.gif
    One light is what my somewhat favorite classic painters, "Little Dutch Masters", were using. They did pretty good, I'm trying to follow... mwink.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    As usual great work Nik.

I really like #2 and #7. What struck me about #2 was that when I was scrolling I first saw the hair flying and the shoulders. Have you thought about a crop at about her left armpit?

And I am not going to nit pick on the fabric on #7, just that the chest isn't square to the image.

And now that you have me looking at stuff, on #3 have you thought about removing the corner of the chest by her right knee it looked a little out of place to me.

However still a great series; you have just taught me to look too well ;)

Happy New Year!
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2009
    As usual great work Nik.

I really like #2 and #7. What struck me about #2 was that when I was scrolling I first saw the hair flying and the shoulders. Have you thought about a crop at about her left armpit?

And I am not going to nit pick on the fabric on #7, just that the chest isn't square to the image.

And now that you have me looking at stuff, on #3 have you thought about removing the corner of the chest by her right knee it looked a little out of place to me.

However still a great series; you have just taught me to look too well ;)

Happy New Year!

Thanks Brad!
    #2: I was totally thinking about the same idea, but thus far was struggling to find a crop that would do it. I will play more though...
    #3: You're right, I need either to bring it up or to dark it down...
    Good eyes! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2009
    Well, I tried a tighter crop:

Hair & Pearls

754042967_EUcMs-L.jpg

I also redid #3 (nothing to hide) to show more of the support and made it a bit more pale, kinda more in line with the "dutch masters". Refresh your browser cache to see a new version...
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:

I also redid #3 (nothing to hide) to show more of the support and made it a bit more pale, kinda more in line with the "dutch masters". Refresh your browser cache to see a new version...

Interesting. Changes the whole feeling to me, a little less floating than the previous one.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2009
    Interesting. Changes the whole feeling to me, a little less floating than the previous one.
    Well, the "less floating" was intentional. While pursuing certain artistic goals, I did want to show that I'm dealing with a real people, not some fairies :-)
  • Options
    afmdmcafmdmc Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    As always just love your work. someday i hope that i'm at least half as good as you. i tried the hair flip thing here recently, for some reason i just didn't get the same effect. i wonder why:D. but i intend to keep at it. who knows.

happy new year.
    http://afmdmc.smugmug.com/

My Tomestone Will Read : I spent most of my money on Cold Beer, Loose Women, And Fast Bikes, the rest I just Wasted !!!!

Dave.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    afmdmc wrote:
    As always just love your work. someday i hope that i'm at least half as good as you. i tried the hair flip thing here recently, for some reason i just didn't get the same effect. i wonder why:D. but i intend to keep at it. who knows.

happy new year.

Dave, thank you for your comments!
    Hair flick is tricky, a lot depends on the model and, naturally, hair amount/length/thinkness/etc.
    HNY! thumb.gif
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Great, great set! Lovely model too~

I like the processing, soft, even well lit.

Hair and Pearls!thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    Great, great set! Lovely model too~

I like the processing, soft, even well lit.

Hair and Pearls!thumb.gif

Thanks Tom! thumb.gif

I find it really intriguing that with all those multiple lights at my disposal I recently tend to use just a few, or you can say, just one (albeit it's a fairly large one, 4'x4') in this case.. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks Tom! thumb.gif

I find it really intriguing that with all those multiple lights at my disposal I recently tend to use just a few, or you can say, just one (albeit it's a fairly large one, 4'x4') in this case.. headscratch.gif

Agreed, Intriguing. Yet it does make sense since most of us like the wonderful light we achieve when shooting near a window.

Beautiful treatment of light on these, and that flaming hair is superb~
    tom wise
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Wonderful work, Nikolai! The new crop on number 2 really makes it pop! Beautiful! Number 3 is my favorite. Also, is that a book of Maxfield Parrish that she's thumbing through in photo number 4? He's one of my favorite artists.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    Very nice set Nikolai. I really like what you've done with just one light. It is really helpful to see for me since I am still starting out and only have two strobes at my disposal.

BTW, I just received my set up grids so I will be playing around with them over the next couple of days. May even have something to post tonight. I'm curious to explore them creatively.

Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    Agreed, Intriguing. Yet it does make sense since most of us like the wonderful light we achieve when shooting near a window.

Beautiful treatment of light on these, and that flaming hair is superb~

Totally... North Window os a classic...

And yes, she has an amazing pack of fur on her head:-)
  • Options
    GrimisGrimis Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Nikolai,

What does one say about this work. Words can not describe the feelings I get from seeing those photo's. You Sir are an artist. Not to take away from others work on this site but so many times I have come into this particular section and am disappointed at the work I see which sometime's borderlines on riskaaaaaa. I have been a fan of the soft eligante lines of old Victorian age. This series seems very Victorian in finish, from the soft pale skin, the lighting, those photo's minus the Santa ones in a pale finish of Black and White would just stop the world. I have no words. I would love to have seen some of these photo's where the young lady is oblivious and not even noticing the camera. Very nice simple and fashionable I could not begin to pick a favorite. Well done. Ciao

J
    You're Only Limited by your Imagination :scratch
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    Grimis wrote:
    Nikolai,

What does one say about this work. Words can not describe the feelings I get from seeing those photo's. You Sir are an artist. Not to take away from others work on this site but so many times I have come into this particular section and am disappointed at the work I see which sometime's borderlines on riskaaaaaa. I have been a fan of the soft eligante lines of old Victorian age. This series seems very Victorian in finish, from the soft pale skin, the lighting, those photo's minus the Santa ones in a pale finish of Black and White would just stop the world. I have no words. I would love to have seen some of these photo's where the young lady is oblivious and not even noticing the camera. Very nice simple and fashionable I could not begin to pick a favorite. Well done. Ciao

J

J,
    thank you very much for your kind words! thumb.gif
    Yes, some of the finish (and the whole lighting) was indeed done with Victorian age in mind, so I'm glad I delivered the intent:-)
    Hope to have more of that later this winter :-) mwink.gif
    Nikolai
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Love your work but you gotta love a red head!!
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2010
    Hackbone wrote:
    Love your work but you gotta love a red head!!
    15524779-Ti.gif