Bubble image with a question.

dirtyleodirtyleo Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited December 31, 2009 in Holy Macro
Now don't laugh to loud,this is of all things, a solution of 1/2 cup of black coffee,5 or 6 drops of liquid soap,1/2 teaspoon of vinegar & oil salad dressing in a wine glass filled level full with tap water, that is setting in a metal cake pan with some water that has red & blue food coloring(not mixed up) all backed up with a white glossy plastic backdrop and 2-6500 Kelvin spiral fluorescent lamps for lighting along with the onboard flash.I blew air into the solution via a small plastic hose to create the bubbles,whew,that was a mouthful wasn't it.

I used a Tamron f2.8, 90mm macro lens with a Canon 25 II ext.tube on a tripod of course and no I haven't been drinking.

Here's the question,what are the spots running through out the image,I can remove them with PP but if I knew what they were and what caused them maybe I could do a better job of creating a similar image.I personally like the effect but not the spots.

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    I'm not a macro expert, but I suspect the spots are reflections caused by your lights. Not sure if it will properly solve the problem, but maybe you could try bouncing the light off the ceiling, and shield the bubbles from any direct lighting. I believe that the small light tent/box's used for object/macro photography use this principle, to provide a wide diffused source of light (from outside the tent/box material), rather than a small point source of light.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • dirtyleodirtyleo Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    I posted this on two other forums and one conclusion was they were specular highlights from the lighting,,,that being a mirror effect from the membranes of other bubbles,if that is the case then I don't think they can be removed prior to the shot you may be right about using a tent but setting this up in a tent would be a chore to say the least.I have a homemade light box I could try it in,I may try it the next time I get in a creative mood.:ivar

dick
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    I think that they are almost certainly specular highlights from the lighting. I do some of my flower shots with lighting from circular halogen pendant lamps, and one can see reflections of the lights on some water drops. I think the only way to reduce this would be to use a more diffuse light source.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited December 31, 2009
    i agree also, with different angles formed inside the bubbles would be very difficult to prevent them.
    think they add to the image anyhow:D
    phil