Options

DSS 41 first challenge C&C?

red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
edited January 5, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi, I'm new here, got my D5000 for Christmas. I'm not set up very well for the kinds of shots I've seen so far (I had the idea of the "first date" too, maybe like going to work in the morning, or pairs of slippers on the white lambswool rug, or something similar). What I ended up shooting was an "as-is" arrangement of the table next to the door with all of my wife's shoes. I set up the red ones to reflect the brown ones in the upper left, and kind of neatened up the whole pile without moving much.

I'm wondering about the composition of the shot, I'm going to have to clean up the area because the dust is really distracting, as is the bit of light shining through on the upper left. There might be more things I can do with it, like super-saturate the red in opposite corners, or something? Suggestions? I've got GIMP but don't know how to use it yet...

753840889_zfZhQ-L.jpg

EXIF data:
<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="110">Date Taken:</td><td valign="top">2009-12-29 21:59:44</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="110">Camera:</td><td valign="top">NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D5000</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="110">Exposure Time:</td><td valign="top">0.2s (1/5)</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="110">Aperture:</td><td valign="top">f/5.0</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="110">ISO:</td><td valign="top">n/a</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="110">Focal Length:</td><td valign="top">35mm (52mm in 35mm)</td></tr></tbody></table><table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Date Modified:</td><td valign="top">2009-12-31 11:10:58</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Photo Dimensions:</td><td valign="top">4288 x 2848</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">File Size:</td><td valign="top">2.55 MB</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">JPEG Quality:</td><td valign="top">normal</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Flash:</td><td valign="top">flash did not fire, auto mode</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Exposure Program:</td><td valign="top">unknown</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Exposure Bias:</td><td valign="top">0 EV</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Exposure Mode:</td><td valign="top">auto</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Light Source:</td><td valign="top">unknown</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">White Balance:</td><td valign="top">auto</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Digital Zoom Ratio:</td><td valign="top">1/1</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Contrast:</td><td valign="top">0</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Saturation:</td><td valign="top">0</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Sharpness:</td><td valign="top">0</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Subject Distance Range:</td><td valign="top">unknown</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Sensing Method:</td><td valign="top">one-chip color sensor</td></tr><tr><td align="right" valign="top" width="115">Color Space:</td><td valign="top">sRGB</td></tr></tbody></table>

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    The composition is fantastic, but does need, as you mentioned, to be cleaned up a bit. This is one of those shots where you will have to control your lighting very carefully. It could also use a touch more contrast (look for a "levels" or "curves" tool inside of GIMP.)

Great start! thumb.gif
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    REd Zone...welcome to DGrin.

I like the comp of this shot. I'd clean out the lower right cubbie to highlight the red shoes and do a general clean up of dust.

Keep shsooting, Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Glad to see you here and joining in the fun. I pretty much agree with the above comments. The shots need a bit more punch. Hope you are enjoying the D5000
    As far as the light shining through either get rid of it or get more of it. even some colored light behind for background would be cool. Gelled flash or lights might add to it.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Hello and welcome to the challenges.
    I like your idea clap.gif .

I agree with the rest, but will say when you reshoot maybe you can get rid of the paperwork behind the red shoes.

Also good attention to shoe placement, in particular the bronze heels, I like how you placed them in the box.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Welcome to Dgrin. You're at a great place to learn how to use your new equipment! There are lots of talented people around these forums that will help. I know because they help me on a regular basis!

Can't help with Gimp but I can tell you that I like the idea. I think the cropping should be chosen carefully, in this case, to have an even amount of the cubbyhole around the edges. Brightness and contrast could be bumped as well as the saturation. The bright yellow area at the background in the upper right area is kind of distracting to me.

These are all just my opinions. No matter what you should place your photo in the entry gallery and keep participating in the challenges. It's a great place to learn.
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Hello and welcome to the challenges.
    I like your idea clap.gif .

I agree with the rest, but will say when you reshoot maybe you can get rid of the paperwork behind the red shoes.

Also good attention to shoe placement, in particular the bronze heels, I like how you placed them in the box.

So far, I would agree with everyone else. This idea has a lot of opportunity to play with!!!! the composition is well thought out...the shoes facing different directions, the two pops of color....

keep playing with it!