Help! Indoor Wedding from the Balcony

shewholaughsshewholaughs Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited January 9, 2010 in Cameras
Oh ye great and powerful dgrinners...

I need some lens advice. Here's the situation:

I've been contracted to shoot an indoor wedding in a church with balcony restrictions. I have shot a lot of second so most of my equipment is set up for upclose shots of getting ready and the like so I lean towards wide angle with 50mm prime being my longest zoom.
The bride and groom are friends so I'm especially worried about being extra prepared for their big day.

As you may have noticed, it's time to go lens shopping. I prefer to get a zoom but I'm working with a $1000 budget and would love to stay under $700 so I would have the extra cash for another D80 body. What would you recommend? By the way, I shoot Nikon.

Perhaps this question has been asked and answered elsewhere, if so, could you point me in the right direction?

Much Obliged!
Beth Singley

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    SIGMA 70-200 F2.8 .....THAT is my go to lens for 99% of all people shooting...........might want to upgrade to a D90 instead of another D80 for the Higher ISO benefit....until you're ready to go with a D300 OR D700................just a thought.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    I'd find a good deal on a used Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8. It's a great lens for the money ($500-750, used).

You can also pick it up new, for about $1000: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124669-USA/Nikon_1986_80_200mm_f_2_8_ED_AF_D.html
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 31, 2009
    Beth, you might also consider rental if this is not a common situation for you and if you don't need the lens for other opportunities.

Have you talked with the pastor/minister/priest to make sure that you understand the restrictions?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • shewholaughsshewholaughs Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    My area isn't really good for rentals or that would be the ticket. I'm also positive about the restrictions as the deposit came with a print out from the church about where you can stand, etc. it's pretty limited. Balcony only except for during the processional and then I can get in to the last row of pews.

I'm generally hesitant about used lenses because I'm not good at spotting what might be wrong with one. Thanks for all the advice though, i appreciate it.
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Beth, there are plenty of lens rental places that operate strictly on a mail-order business model. Perhaps one of them would work for you. You'd have to try several services out to choose which one you like best; you can even take the rental lenses to the church in advance to see which one works best in the balcony. Then you rent your lens of choice for several days before the wedding to be sure it arrives in plenty of time.

It may be worth looking into. I haven't used a lens rental place myself, but I know lots of people who have, and they generally have great experiences and are satisfied with the condition of the equipment and the customer service.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Travel Lens
    Another thing to consider is the lighting at the church. If it's dark and you are back there, will you have enough light to shoot.
    A long lens means faster shutter speeds and less light and even with a 200mm lens on - it might not be long enough. You very well might need a tripod.

If it's not too dark, I have a lens that I like a lot - I don't use it for weddings since I have other glass, but, the Tamron 28-300 vr comes in a Nikon mount. It would give you longer reach than a 200 and it's light weight. It's $550 (make sure you get the VR = Vibration resistance). It's the only non-Canon lens I use but it's very sharp with great color.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    ChatKat wrote:
    Another thing to consider is the lighting at the church. If it's dark and you are back there, will you have enough light to shoot.
    A long lens means faster shutter speeds and less light and even with a 200mm lens on - it might not be long enough. You very well might need a tripod.

If it's not too dark, I have a lens that I like a lot - I don't use it for weddings since I have other glass, but, the Tamron 28-300 vr comes in a Nikon mount. It would give you longer reach than a 200 and it's light weight. It's $550 (make sure you get the VR = Vibration resistance). It's the only non-Canon lens I use but it's very sharp with great color.
    I'm with Kathy here: Light. Light will be an issue in a Church, and being a Nikon Shooter, Light, or lack of it, is why so many people upgrade their camera bodies.

In Raleigh, just like here in Winston, your best bet would be to do the Mail-Order Rental for the extra body and perhaps lens.

If you are presently shooting in manual mode, then renting a D700 and using that would be a cinch.
    tom wise
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    Try renting -- you just might like it :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    for low light the 85mm 1.4 imo is going to be your best best though you may have to crop your shots. the 80-200mm may work out as well depending on how far and how dark it is.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • shewholaughsshewholaughs Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Maybe I can hoodwink the church into letting me in early to check it out. Thanks for all the great advice! I'll let you know how it turns out.