Logitech G series keyboards

insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
edited January 14, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I know these are marketed to the pc gamers but they work so well for photo software! That I have to rave about it (I hope this is the right forum)
These things are so awesome! You set the macro keys to what you want. :lust And the way you want them and they're all grouped together (like how shortcut keys should be)

I am currently using Capture NX 2, it normally takes about 2-3 (that includes breaks) hours to get done with 300+ photos now just takes little as 30-45 mins (as fast as my computer with run the program.)

I am going to play with LR3 beta tonight with it.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 31, 2009
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom Gear forum where computers and related hardware typically goes. Feel free to add a link to other sites relating to this keyboard (reviews etc.) if you wish.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    insanefred wrote:
    I know these are marketed to the pc gamers but they work so well for photo software! That I have to rave about it (I hope this is the right forum)
    These things are so awesome! You set the macro keys to what you want. iloveyou.gif And the way you want them and they're all grouped together (like how shortcut keys should be)

I am currently using Capture NX 2, it normally takes about 2-3 (that includes breaks) hours to get done with 300+ photos now just takes little as 30-45 mins (as fast as my computer with run the program.)

I am going to play with LR3 beta tonight with it.

is this a wired or wireless keyboard.....as I have been looking at getting a Logitech wireless trackman (i hates mouses...meeses and mice).......A good ergonomic Key board is going to be a must soon also............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    I have a 1st generation G15 from when I actually played games on the computer.

It is a wired keyboard, also a very large keyboard. The newer G15s not as large but they have removed macro keys to shorten the footprint of the keyboard.

Basically you get a standard keyboard with number pad and all the normal stuff.
    PLUS

Two levels of back light for the keys. Mine is blue but I think they have/had a red backlit keyboard as well.

LCD display, 1st gen is flip screen grey/black. I think the newer ones are actually colour screens....

Media controls.

MACROS!!!! and more macros and more macros...
    I have 18 macro keys and 3 levels giving me a grand total of 54 macro keys. Then you can also build program profiles so you get a different set of macros for each program.
    Also the macros can be programmed on the fly. Just push a button and start recording, hit it again to stop. Nice and simple.

I have not used the macros for anything photo related but it is an interesting thought and something to look into.

Here is a link to the current G15. I prefer my 1st gen G15, but I also have a large desk for the computer. I found that 1st gen G15s do not really fit a standard keyboard tray very nicely....

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3498&cl=US,EN

And a pic of the older G15, like I have.

http://www.hardware.no/tester/input/logitech_g15/g-15hel-stor.jpg
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    If you don't require dedicated macro keys and are comfortable with cording... left-alt-shift-A sort of thing... there are quite a few programs that you can use to add pretty sophisticated macros, well beyond what macro key assigments built into a lot of programs do, to your keys (or menus).

I've been using this one for years to automate things, but there are others.

http://www.macros.com/index.htm

Just curious, does anybody remember ProKey by Rosesoft or Fansi console? :D
    insanefred wrote:
    These things are so awesome! You set the macro keys to what you want. iloveyou.gif And the way you want them and they're all grouped together (like how shortcut keys should be)
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    One thing I'm looking at getting is this... http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/5123&cl=us,en its a macro addon by logitech.

I use the Razer Lycosa gaming keyboard and love it.. however it doesn't have macro keys so I'm thinking about getting that addon for $80.

Also Logitech now has the G19 gaming keyboard... looks pretty fancy, but I'll pass for $200! http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4956&cl=us,en
    Jer
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote:
    If you don't require dedicated macro keys and are comfortable with cording... left-alt-shift-A sort of thing... there are quite a few programs that you can use to add pretty sophisticated macros, well beyond what macro key assigments built into a lot of programs do, to your keys (or menus).

I've been using this one for years to automate things, but there are others.

http://www.macros.com/index.htm

Just curious, does anybody remember ProKey by Rosesoft or Fansi console? :D

I think I came across that site before. I was quickly turned away because the price was almost as much at a G15 or G11 keyboards.

BTW I am using the G110
    edited January 1, 2010
    insanefred wrote:
    I think I came across that site before. I was quickly turned away because the price was almost as much at a G15 or G11 keyboards.

BTW I am using the G110

Do you mind sharing how you use macros to decrease your editing time?
    Jer
  • NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Interesting idea.... I could so use those macro keys reworking spreadsheets and databases.
    edited January 1, 2010
    Do you mind sharing how you use macros to decrease your editing time?

One example is if you're like me and have gotton used the idea of "save as you go"

Option 1:

Click here, click there and there... save.

Option 2:

ctrl + shift + s

option 3

preas a single button (that you pre-programmed with "ctrl + shift + s
    "

Example 2:

I want to change the brightness/contrast, crop and fine tune.

have a pre-programmed button for ctrl + shift + alt + C, and maybe another to crop with a 5x4 potrait then a button for levels...

Another good example is the I have efex 3 and like to use the skylight filter often but at about 10 rather than 25 (default). I don't want to click on "new step" then scroll thought the menu and so on. I'd rather just press one button to create a "new step" load up the skylight for me with the setting to 10.

It may not seem much or even just plain lazy.. But it all adds up, trust me!
    edited January 2, 2010
    cool! Thanks man. I customized the keyboard shortcuts in PS, so I use them all the time. for instance ctrl/cmd+s is my save, pretty easy (thats the default anyways)... R brings out the ruler and then ctrl/cmd+shift+. is arbitrary alignment (for getting the horizon level)..

I will think about getting that macro attachment. Might come in handy. especially for easy stuff like, +1 exposure -1 exposure, etc... would be nice to just push a single button instead of having to pull up menus and stuff. (or in lightroom having to find it in the develop menu if you're tucked away in another section and don't want to scroll.)
    Jer
    edited January 2, 2010
    There's a tradeoff probably worth thinking about.

Keyboard macro software lets you take your macros with you to any keyboard.... and there are a bunch of them out there from free to pay for with varying capabilities.

A hardware keyboard w/macros gives you extra keys, which can be very useful, but your macros can only be used on that keyboard.

I will think about getting that macro attachment
    edited January 2, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote:
    A hardware keyboard w/macros gives you extra keys, which can be very useful, but your macros can only be used on that keyboard.

Yes, but I believe the attachment I was refering to is a USB peripheral. Meaning, I could use it with any keyboard I wish to.
    Jer
    edited January 3, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote:

As long as we don't change keyboards as much as we do with lenses. I think we'll be fine. thumb.gif
    edited January 3, 2010
    Bought the G13 attachment today at Best Buy... on sale for $50! Saved $30 which is why I got it. So far I like it, but I haven't been able to really customize the buttons yet.
    Jer
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    I think you guys are missing the most important thing about these "gaming grade" keyboards: they are built much better!

I have the G11 keyboard and it's just great. But I also have the G5 mouse. Now, if you think you know all about mice but never handled a Logitec G-series mouse before, you better try one. Yes, it's corded too.

Just some remarks about the G5 mouse: it comes with a little box filled with small weights. Inside the mouse is a magazine that you can pop out and put some combination of those weights in for your preferred total mouse weight. Second: the mouse has little buttons behind the wheel for setting the DPI. There's 3 settings for that and they are in effect as soon as you touch the button. So if you need precision you have that and when you need speed on the desktop you have that too.

Last thing gaming grade that's good: wifi routers. I use the D-link DGL-4500.

cheers,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
    edited January 13, 2010
    If what you are looking for a well made keyboard check out http://daskeyboard.com/. Nothing fancy though, just a keyboard.

DeVerm wrote:
    I think you guys are missing the most important thing about these "gaming grade" keyboards: they are built much better!
    edited January 14, 2010
    DeVerm wrote:

I have the G11 keyboard and it's just great. But I also have the G5 mouse. Now, if you think you know all about mice but never handled a Logitec G-series mouse before, you better try one. Yes, it's corded too.

Just some remarks about the G5 mouse: it comes with a little box filled with small weights. Inside the mouse is a magazine that you can pop out and put some combination of those weights in for your preferred total mouse weight. Second: the mouse has little buttons behind the wheel for setting the DPI. There's 3 settings for that and they are in effect as soon as you touch the button. So if you need precision you have that and when you need speed on the desktop you have that too.

Last thing gaming grade that's good: wifi routers. I use the D-link DGL-4500.

cheers,
    Nick.

Totally agree with this. I use the Lycosa Gaming Keyboard and Lachesis Gaming Mouse made by Razer.

I love the keyboard because the keys are very easy to press, they're very soft, its quiet, keys are back lit so I can work in the dark, and I've spilled soo much on it and it still works perfectly (Mountain Dew, Sweet Tea, Monster Energy Drinks, Coffee).

And the mouse is simply amazing. Its HUGE, which is perfect for me, cause I have really big hands, it fits the curves of my hand just right. It also has the quick DPI changing buttons which really come in handy when I don't feel like using my pen tablet. It also has buttons on the side of the mouse so you can go back and forward in your web browser.

And the plus of all this, whenever I want to play games I have high quality gear, that I know will be reliable.
    Jer
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    Hi Jeremy,

Good to know I'm not alone ;-) The thing is that most readers of our posts think we're either crazy or gamers and they keep going with the consumer junk (and keep complaining about it) ...

I also think that for most it's difficult to grasp that the DPI settings on a mouse are of value for photo retouch because they don't know what DPI settings for the mouse mean. Others skipped it and use professional tablets even for jobs where a good mouse is more efficient (because they don't know what a good mouse can do).

For us it's crucial to buy the best quality because we live on a boat and the salty air kills the cheap toys in weeks. My G11 keyboard just keeps on going because the spill-resistance also keeps the internal corrosion under control.

ciao!
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here