Textures

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited January 5, 2010 in People
These all make use of textures and layering. Textures are easily found on Flikr (search for free textures) and deviantart is also an excellent resource.

Resize the texture to match the dimensions of your image and then add it to your image as a layer. Try overlay, softlight, or hardlight modes, and use a mask to paint back the areas you want untouched.

Something different...something fun!!!

1-
731587972_sk77n-L-1.jpg

2-731664657_jceHD-L-1.jpg

3-
492821765_YnCEL-M.jpg

Comments

• kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Thank you Jeff. I have experiemented a little but didn't know about the masking technique. Your work is really fun to see! I especially love 1 and 3. I have a lot to learn in PP! It is fun though. Happy New Year.
    Kelly
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Hi, I'm Darren Troy C..................and I'm a textureholic.

Hiiiiiiii, Troy. :D

So, that's how the TA meeting would go. I love textures and have recently swayed over into some still-life wildflower work with natural light and canvas texture expirimentation. Check out Kocak (last name) over at 1x.com. Awesome stuff! Deviantart is a second home for me, DGrin being my main residence. :)

Great stuff JKM!
  • zonaphotoszonaphotos Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Masking in Photoshop elements?
    Does photoshop elements have the masking feature? I've looked around for it, and don't seem to find it. Is there a way to do this look in Elements w/o masking?
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Jeff, I really like no.2. Good stuff.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    zonaphotos wrote:
    Does photoshop elements have the masking feature? I've looked around for it, and don't seem to find it. Is there a way to do this look in Elements w/o masking?

There are solutions for Elements. A google search for the technique you want to try will yield many results.......such as...

http://www.digitalscrapbookplace.com/university/tutorials/PSE_MaskBlendEP.shtml

A;so....you should check out elementsvillage.com

...and welcome to Dgrin!:D
    edited January 1, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    Thank you Jeff. I have experiemented a little but didn't know about the masking technique. Your work is really fun to see! I especially love 1 and 3. I have a lot to learn in PP! It is fun though. Happy New Year.
    Kelly

In photoshop, masks are simple. Search for some tutorials...there are tons online!
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    A few hours of research and study and I'm good to go! Found a great add-on layer mask tool for PSE. SUPER easy to use and I'm glad to say I've got it down now...found some great stuff on deviant and flickr. I LOVE IT! Okay, I think I'll soon be joining the ranks of TA, lol!
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pselements/qt/layermasktool.htm
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    In photoshop, masks are simple. Search for some tutorials...there are tons online!

I attended a lecture with JB Sallee (http://www.salleephotography.com/ )

where he suggested using blur over the key areas rather than mask for textures. The theory was that blur kept the color, but didnt allow the shapes to come through, where erase made the color strange.

As with everything in PS there are probably a hundred ways to do anything, but this was his suggestion.

Z

It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited January 1, 2010
    Zanotti wrote:
    I attended a lecture with JB Sallee (http://www.salleephotography.com/ )

where he suggested using blur over the key areas rather than mask for textures. The theory was that blur kept the color, but didnt allow the shapes to come through, where erase made the color strange.

As with everything in PS there are probably a hundred ways to do anything, but this was his suggestion.

Z

Z,

There are blending modes that will also offer the same effect.

I do...usually...add a good bit of blur to the final mask to reduce edges....even though I use a soft brush.thumb.gif
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    wow I really love 1. fantastic.. textures are so much fun!
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Just trying it out...
    Your post went and inspired me to download the trial version of CS4 just to play around a bit.
    (I'm still in upgrade limbo...won't have my own version on this new Mac till the end of the month or so)

755164899_65XgA-M.jpg

Happy New Year

~jb
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • DerweissehaiDerweissehai Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    Great work. I use the overlay as the selection and then paint the model out of the photo show that they show back up with no texture on them...simpler than creating a layer mask....but it's all in how you want the photo to look. Once again great work
    7D/40D/XTi/G10/EOS630/50MM 1.8/430/580x2/18-55/28-135/PWx2/Sekonic LM/Tam. 70-200 2.8
    Model Site/Portrait Site/Flcikr/MM

Adam
    edited January 4, 2010
    Great work. I use the overlay as the selection and then paint the model out of the photo show that they show back up with no texture on them...simpler than creating a layer mask....but it's all in how you want the photo to look. Once again great work

Thanks for offering yet another way to "skin the cat" Adam!!!thumb.gif
  • burntpixelburntpixel Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    cg textures

Nice stuff Jeff.
  • DerweissehaiDerweissehai Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks for offering yet another way to "skin the cat" Adam!!!thumb.gif

I try to help when I can. Seriously great work!
    7D/40D/XTi/G10/EOS630/50MM 1.8/430/580x2/18-55/28-135/PWx2/Sekonic LM/Tam. 70-200 2.8
    Model Site/Portrait Site/Flcikr/MM

Adam
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    2 reasons I want photoshop- actions and textures...otherwise lightroom would be 100% sufficient. Oh well, maybe someday :cry

Beautiful use of textures Jeff!