LensBaby or Macro?

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited January 6, 2010 in Cameras
For 2010, I'm interested in doings some more "artistic" types of flower shots like these:

All shot with Nikkor 50mm 1.8:

754520667_tPFYe-M.jpg

754520368_FJ2dq-M.jpg

754524457_jVF5q-M.jpg

I am torn between getting a LensBaby Composer and a true Macro 1:1 lens. If the latter, I'm wondering about a good Macro other than the Nikkor 105, which I should have bought 2 years ago but didn't. :cry
I'm leaning towards a Macro so that I can do true closeup work, still doing some soft-focus stuff like these with my 50. But the LensBaby looks like pure fun!

I realize I should probably make up my mind about my subjects and style before buying gear, but that hasn't stopped me yet! :rofl

If anybody has any comments or suggestions, please let me know. Has anyone used the LensBaby Composer?

Thanks,
Lauren
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 1, 2010
    I prefer to do the "artistic rendition" of a subject in software, where I appreciate the greater control software allows. I do understand the allure of an optical control in that it's more WYSIWYG and you can compose the final effect into the composition of the scene, but I still think that with the advent of digital software that is the more appropriate mechanism for control.

There are a lot of good macro lenses and I wound up with an older Tamron 90mm, f2.8 SP 1:1 Macro that works extremely well and was very reasonable in cost.

BTW your third image, with the pink tones, is exquisite and I can't imagine producing it any other way than what you did. Whatever you are doing, keep doing it. thumb.gifthumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Thanks, Ziggy! I really appreciate your comment about #3. I'm ordering it on metallic paper to see how it looks.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    The lensbaby does come with a macro kit (part of which is free http://www.smugmug.com/ClubSmug/ ) and stacked with the other macros you can get for them, you can get pretty close -- I've no clue what ratio though. enough to have tons of fun though :)

Just saying!

554829388_8UYfi-M.jpg

554830047_tBqmt-M.jpg
    //Leah
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Thanks, Leah--I'd forgotten about the macro option w/ Lensbaby. Yeah SmugMug! I may opt for that just because it looks so much fun!!!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    I'm a big fan of the Lensbaby, I have to disagree with Ziggy with regards to making such adjustments in software where there is frankly too much control and a certain sterility to the end result and often too many hours in front of your monitor trying to achieve it.

I much prefer the slightly unpredictable results of the Lensbaby, love 'em to bits.

Charlie