upper Sunbeam Falls

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited August 19, 2010 in Landscapes
going through some old shots, and came across this shot of upper Sunbeam Falls on the south side of Mt. Rainier National Park. taken with my 40D and Tammy 17-35 @ 17mm, 1/6 sec @ f/14. the 17-35 isn't bad with good light, but seems to lose a bit of sharpness when it's dull, so i "Ortonized" this to give it a somewhat dreamy feel. i think i'll go back to this spot come spring with my 5D and 24-135 and see what i can come up with... :wink

IMG3292orton800.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    Hey Rocky! Not sure the Orton effect does much here, but the composition is pretty nice. :D I definitely think revisiting this place and bracketing to get more natural exposure on the rocks is a great idea. Does the sun ever hit these falls during the golden hours?
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    schmoo wrote:
    Hey Rocky! Not sure the Orton effect does much here, but the composition is pretty nice. :D I definitely think revisiting this place and bracketing to get more natural exposure on the rocks is a great idea. Does the sun ever hit these falls during the golden hours?

hi Schmoo... i think this is in shade during the golden hours, but it might depend on the time of year. this shot was taken at about 7:30 PM in August, so i at least know it's not sunlit in the evening, anyway... it's better to photograph in mid-summer to early fall, when the flow is lower, as the falls is more graceful then. i definitely plan to go back and reshoot it, though!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

• hardrockronhardrockron Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 19, 2010
    This picture of upper sunbeam falls was taken last saturday, in the morning.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010

Welcome to Dgrin! There's no image, so did you get stuck on either embedding or attaching one? Someone here's alway happy to help so let us know. thumb.gif
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2010

you're confusing this post with another more recent one taken last Sunday around 9 AM...
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night