Help re making the move from PC to Apple

13»

Comments

• RovingEyePhotoRovingEyePhoto Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    I can't really speak to the reliability of what MacWorld prints. I've used them as a resource once or twice and haven't been disappointed when I followed their advice. Most recently, I used one of their articles to help decide which USB mic to buy for podcasting. I bought what they recommended and like it. There are plenty of Mac-oriented blogs out there that also review things.

Regarding how to unhide files, I just tried it with an unimportant data file I have lying around, and it's easy: you just remove the "." from the front of the filename. thumb.gif
    Again, thanks for taking the time. This is going to sound really stupid, but bear in mind I'm still using XP on a PC, not even Vista, and not a Mac. If dot is typed in front of file name and it becomes hidden, how do I see the hidden file name (it's hidden) so I then can remove the dot? You probably know that PC allows me to designate a file's "property" as hidden, and separately designate globally if I want hidden files to show or not to show. There must be something similar in Mac that allows "dotted" files either to show or not to show. What am I missing?
    See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited February 9, 2010
    Again, thanks for taking the time. This is going to sound really stupid, but bear in mind I'm still using XP on a PC, not even Vista, and not a Mac. If dot is typed in front of file name and it becomes hidden, how do I see the hidden file name (it's hidden) so I then can remove the dot? You probably know that PC allows me to designate a file's "property" as hidden, and separately designate globally if I want hidden files to show or not to show. There must be something similar in Mac that allows "dotted" files either to show or not to show. What am I missing?

I don't know of a way to do this from the OS-X graphical shell, but you can do it just like you would do in Unix from the terminal command prompt--that's because OS-X is BSD Unix underneath all the eye candy. Navigate to the directory and enter ls -a. Dot files will show up along with the rest and you can rename them like any other file, removing the dot. If you are shy about using a command prompt, then your other choice is to use account permissions to control access to files.

HTH.
    edited February 9, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    I don't know of a way to do this from the OS-X graphical shell, but you can do it just like you would do in Unix from the terminal command prompt--that's because OS-X is BSD Unix underneath all the eye candy. Navigate to the directory and enter ls -a. Dot files will show up along with the rest and you can rename them like any other file, removing the dot. If you are shy about using a command prompt, then your other choice is to use account permissions to control access to files.

HTH.
    Aha, moving forward, and many thanks. I expect I can get over any shyness if something this simple does the job without risking third-party programs or creating account permissions. This is kind of like entering "configsys" in XP's "Run" box, right? If this is what we're talking about, could you please clarify for me, is "ls -a" a lower case el plus a space before the "-a"? Think that's what I'm seeing. And if this is code to unhide, what's code to re-hide?

Again, thanks for stepping in, it's the little things that sometimes make the difference.
    See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010

It's not stupid. But I feel I should clarify:

Secrets isn't some sketchy third-party hack. It's just a graphical interface that lets you adjust System Preferences that are otherwise hard to get at. Nothing tricky or untoward.

You can use Secrets to turn on and off the "Show Hidden Files In Finder" preference. Or you can use ls -a (the letter "L" lower case, the letter "S" lower case, then " -a") at the command line, as Richard has explained.
    edited February 9, 2010
    It's not stupid. But I feel I should clarify:

Secrets isn't some sketchy third-party hack. It's just a graphical interface that lets you adjust System Preferences that are otherwise hard to get at. Nothing tricky or untoward.

You can use Secrets to turn on and off the "Show Hidden Files In Finder" preference. Or you can use ls -a (the letter "L" lower case, the letter "S" lower case, then " -a") at the command line, as Richard has explained.
    Got it, and thanks.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited February 9, 2010
    Got it, and thanks.

Actually, this sounds like a pretty good tool to have. Apple draws a very clear demarcation between their user-friendly interface and the gory details of Unix. The message seems to be, "if you can't use vi or emacs (or don't know what those are), it's none of your business." It's a reasonable decision for the vast majority of their user-base, but there are a few more knowledgeable and adventurous souls out there who might like to use a GUI for lower level tweaks.
    edited February 9, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Actually, this sounds like a pretty good tool to have. Apple draws a very clear demarcation between their user-friendly interface and the gory details of Unix. The message seems to be, "if you can't use vi or emacs (or don't know what those are), it's none of your business." It's a reasonable decision for the vast majority of their user-base, but there are a few more knowledgeable and adventurous souls out there who might like to use a GUI for lower level tweaks.
    Well put! I had to google "GUI", obvious but didn't pop to mind, and presume you're meaning "Secrets". Any others, or smart to stick to just one or a very few, not stretch the envelope?
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    For years I've used another free utility that's similar to Secrets, unlocking numerous undocumented preferences like hidden files: TinkerTool

You'll see on his site that he also offers a utility called "TinkerTool System" if you want to go deeper and try more extreme hacks at your own risk. But TinkerTool itself is a simple preferences editor, in that "safe" category that's been discussed.
    edited February 10, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    For years I've used another free utility that's similar to Secrets, unlocking numerous undocumented preferences like hidden files: TinkerTool

You'll see on his site that he also offers a utility called "TinkerTool System" if you want to go deeper and try more extreme hacks at your own risk. But TinkerTool itself is a simple preferences editor, in that "safe" category that's been discussed.
    That's quite a list of additional capabilities! I see several in Tinker I would use. I assume many of these are duped in Secrets, but will take a look at that. Preference one over the other? Use them both? Thoughts? Very helpful, thanks ...
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    I assume many of these are duped in Secrets, but will take a look at that. Preference one over the other? Use them both?

Probably. There's a lot of overlap in these utilities, and by that I mean not just these two. I don't know if there is a major reason to pick one over the other. They take up so little space you don't have to kick one out. But if you find one that has what you need, you might not keep the other. I use TinkerTool and Onyx and that covers my needs.
    edited February 10, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    Probably. There's a lot of overlap in these utilities, and by that I mean not just these two. I don't know if there is a major reason to pick one over the other. They take up so little space you don't have to kick one out. But if you find one that has what you need, you might not keep the other. I use TinkerTool and Onyx and that covers my needs.
    Thanks for input. I see Onyx is on the Apple site. Are downloads here programs Apple supports, as opposed to those by third parties that it officially turns nose upward at? I assume some of the overlap things are the obvious hide/unhide, plus clear logs/cookies, also clear temp and history files, etc, all those little footprints I clear as am everyday matter of course on my PC. Is this the case? Guess I'll know all when I get there, just encouraging to know in advance that I'm not alone in the functions I traditionally use, and that the Mac/PC divide isn't really a very large leap.

Again, thanks ...
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    Thanks for input. I see Onyx is on the Apple site. Are downloads here programs Apple supports, as opposed to those by third parties that it officially turns nose upward at? I assume some of the overlap things are the obvious hide/unhide, plus clear logs/cookies, also clear temp and history files, etc, all those little footprints I clear as am everyday matter of course on my PC. Is this the case? Guess I'll know all when I get there, just encouraging to know in advance that I'm not alone in the functions I traditionally use, and that the Mac/PC divide isn't really a very large leap.

Again, thanks ...

I don't think Apple "supports" anything other than their own software/hardware. But they "feature" third-party stuff on their website. I wouldn't assume that not supporting a piece of software equals "turning their nose up" at it, Apple Store staff reactions aside. I think it is safe to assume that if a particular software package is featured on the Apple website, it's probably OK to use with a Mac.
    edited February 10, 2010
    I think it is safe to assume that if a particular software package is featured on the Apple website, it's probably OK to use with a Mac.
    Makes sense. Thanks.
  • trucksrfuntrucksrfun Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2010
    If you don't want to buy PS consider GIMP. It works great on the Mac for pretty much everything I do.
    edited June 21, 2010
    trucksrfun wrote: »
    If you don't want to buy PS consider GIMP. It works great on the Mac for pretty much everything I do.

I've read of GIMP, and know it has its followers. I just don't know if I'm brave enough to make the change, or have time to transition. I'm not a true techie, read a lot and get into the workings of things, but not really with a coder's understanding of much past results. I shoot a lot all spring/summer/fall, all hand-held on-the-fly modeled, and put in massive hours of processing under fairly tight delivery deadlines. I have a workflow that suits me, and tremble at the thought of slowing down to re-learn and adjust to something different. PS certainly serves my needs (way over-serves, lol), and Aperture I'm sure I could very painfully adjust to, but beyond these just don't think I'm adventurous enough to deal with the "other guys". Probably shorting something useful and inexpensive here, but is what it is.

Am I making any sense at all? Many thanks for the time.