More time spent with the band

Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited January 10, 2010 in People
it's getting harder to come up with new composition with such limited area in the recording space these guys have, but here are a few shots from the most recent recording session of Mechanical Pancreas...

754587469_5MYSS-M.jpg

754588344_WdVUA-M.jpg

754589902_w6QFv-M.jpg

754590867_GoycE-M.jpg

754592307_bVjzf-M.jpg

754585810_cjYzm-M.jpg

The rest of the shoot can be viewed in the Nelvanna Session gallery on my site
Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    For such a limited space you got a good variety of poses thumb.gif The problem with the recording space (photographically anyway) is that it seems there is no light in it but a good amount of light coming from outside resulting in almost silhouette like shots with very little facial expression. Any way you can lighten up the studio a bit? Does it have lights somewhere that you can use?
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    For such a limited space you got a good variety of poses thumb.gif The problem with the recording space (photographically anyway) is that it seems there is no light in it but a good amount of light coming from outside resulting in almost silhouette like shots with very little facial expression. Any way you can lighten up the studio a bit? Does it have lights somewhere that you can use?

Interior light is limited to one ceiling mounted light fixture (maybe 50 watts) on the far side of the room. I've tried to use the difference between interior and exterior light to create a moody feel to the photos. I don't have a bounce flash so using the flash results in the photos looking more like snapshots instead of photographs. The next time I have an opportunity to photograph one of their recording sessions I'm going to experiment with some homemade flash diffusers that I've made.
    Scooba Steve

Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Mechanical Pancreas?! That's an interesting band name. And I would have NEVER put those pictures with a band with that name.

Try upping the ISO a bit and taking advantage of the grain. I like the shots, very PJ in style, but yes, using a *bit* more light wouldn't hurt.

Be careful with flashes in cramped space, they might get distracting while they're recording.

My husband's in a band, too, I've spent many an afternoon in a rehearsal space or in random states capturing his band, gives you a whole new respect for "big" stars that have year long tours, it's not the glorious life everybody thinks it would be.
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    I experimented with ISO settings more during this shoot than any other shoot I've had with these guys (400 being the highest used). These guys have afforded me great opportunities to get more comfortable with a more photo journalistic style of portrait photography.
    Scooba Steve