New Year, New Town, New House, New Business License...

a-baird-photographa-baird-photograph Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited June 20, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Just moved to a great house in Mesa, AZ and with the new year, was going to apply for my new business license...until I read in my CCRs "No Businesses of Any Kind are allowed". The License PPW specifically asks if our CCRs allow it or not. Didn't hit me when we were buying, but does now.

I'm not even big enough to have a studio. I shoot people to get through, but my focus last year and planned this year is Architectural, Real Estate, and Corporate work, so clients don't come to the house, I'm on location. But I need to hang my shingle.

Anybody ran into this? Ideas to maneuver around it?
Body: Canon XTi
Glass: 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f4.0-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm f4-5.6

Comments

• bbeck4x4bbeck4x4 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Is it possible to have your company at a mailboxes etc?
    Brian Beck
    Spanish Fork, Utah 84660- 360 Virtual Tours - Landscapes
    Google + Facebook Website
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    I did the mailboxes etc./UPS Store/FedEx Kinkos a few times in a past life. The other thing that you might want to consider is an office rental. A friend of mine used one fairly successfully as it looked much more "prestige" to have a meeting at the office rental than at his house. The one I hear all the time on XM/Sirius so much so that it sticks in my head... is Regus (http://www.regus.com/)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    I would rather live in a box under a bridge than a place with an association telling me what I can and can't do. Sorry only one cat allowed. Sorry your dog can only weigh 36 Lbs and yours is 37 lbs. You can't fly the American flag. Etc, Etc.

That said maybe you actually have that mythical group of association members who have some common sense. Go to a meeting and explain you just need a location for your business license, mail and no retail business will be conducted with clients at your home.

I wouldn't try to hide it. That will just create stress. Alternatives are a mail drop, PO Box, rent a small office, use a friends address.

Sam
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    I agree with Sam. HOAs grant exceptions all the time. You should be straight forward and tell them all about it and let them make their decision. The main concerns of HOAs are usually increased commercial traffic (commercial trucks, such as "Bob's Photography" trucks) parked on the street. My parents live in a planned community and they do not allow commercial vehicles of any kind on streets owned by the community, so all the trucks are parked on the county road.
  • JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Look into it... but what they probally mean is they dont want commercial vehicles in the neighborhood.... be that landscaping trucks, dump trucks, or painting vans, or anything with a commercial advertisement on it...

They can not prevent you from having a home based business.

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.
  • a-baird-photographa-baird-photograph Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    Thanks all for the replies. Meeting next week. I'll give it a try.

This is our first community that we've been in with an HOA, and while the people are awesome (there's only 32 homes) the management company is "aggressive". Thanks!
    Body: Canon XTi
    Glass: 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f4.0-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm f4-5.6
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Thanks all for the replies. Meeting next week. I'll give it a try.

This is our first community that we've been in with an HOA, and while the people are awesome (there's only 32 homes) the management company is "aggressive". Thanks!

Who the heck is "The Management Company"? You the home owners are the association and can make the rules. That's both the good and the bad.

Sam
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 8, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    Who the heck is "The Management Company"? You the home owners are the association and can make the rules. That's both the good and the bad.

The way HOA's typically work is they are run by a board of directors who hire a management firm to deal with taking care of common property, enforcing the bylaws/CC&R's and whatever else a resident might need from the association. 9 times out of 10, the board is made up of a bunch of people with nothing else better to do than decide that you cannot park your car in your driveway--if you don't want that type of oversight, don't buy property in one.

Regarding whether you can run your business from home, here is something worth a read.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    I was on a HOA board for a couple of years. They almost always mean that they don't want clients or employees showing up in the neighborhood.

Unless you are obvious about it then the HOA would never know unless you advertise with your address.

We had one house that was running some kind of business and had 5 employee cars a day parking out front. We had the city shut them down and fine them because they wouldn't respond to the HOA. There were other businesses that I know of that never had people showing up and no one cared.

You will be fine...just don't have people coming to your house.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Wow, bad CCR's
    Just moved to a great house in Mesa, AZ and with the new year, was going to apply for my new business license...until I read in my CCRs "No Businesses of Any Kind are allowed". The License PPW specifically asks if our CCRs allow it or not. Didn't hit me when we were buying, but does now.

I'm not even big enough to have a studio. I shoot people to get through, but my focus last year and planned this year is Architectural, Real Estate, and Corporate work, so clients don't come to the house, I'm on location. But I need to hang my shingle.

Anybody ran into this? Ideas to maneuver around it?

That is really strange to be in CCR's. How can they prevent a home-based business? That doesn't seem lawful. The way you are saying it means a Mary Kay type business would not be allowed. I live in Surprise Arizona (about 30 miles Northwest of Mesa) and we encourage home based businesses and they have been a life saver in this tight economy. When people are out of work many of them start home based businesses to survive.

You are doing the right thing in applying for a business license. We need more pros like you in the photography business. You might want to talk to the City government legal people to find out if a CCR like that violates any public policy or city ordinance.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    ... clients don't come to the house, I'm on location. But I need to hang my shingle.
    headscratch.gif
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    r9jackson wrote: »
    That is really strange to be in CCR's. How can they prevent a home-based business? That doesn't seem lawful. The way you are saying it means a Mary Kay type business would not be allowed. I live in Surprise Arizona (about 30 miles Northwest of Mesa) and we encourage home based businesses and they have been a life saver in this tight economy. When people are out of work many of them start home based businesses to survive.

You are doing the right thing in applying for a business license. We need more pros like you in the photography business. You might want to talk to the City government legal people to find out if a CCR like that violates any public policy or city ordinance.

Actually it is not uncommon at least not here....not only do they not allow HBB's but they also tell you exactly how tall your grass can be.....Here ins ICT the city states you grass must be maintained below 12" tall.......there are a couple of covenant communities that have a code of no more than 4.25 inches and they pay people to measure every yard at a min 1 per week but some are measured twice weekly.....you get nasty phone calls for the daily paper lying on your drive way all day if it arrived after you leaving for work............

so it boils down to if it is not allowed in the covenant then it isn't allowed.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website