Options

the party's over....

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited January 2, 2010 in Street and Documentary
New Year's Day 2010

755289925_27Dic-L.jpg

For some reason I like this shot. Guinness' face sums up for me the after-holiday hangover. Perhaps it's just my emotional attachment to my dog. Does it work for anyone but me? Is the composition too jumbled with the pattern of the quilt?

All comments gratefully accepted.
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Morning Patti,
    I like the shot-but I don't see the aftermath of any party--looks more like couch potato Sunday to me. I think if there was confetti on the floor and champagne glasses turned over on a table etc, noise makers strewn about, I'd know it was new years aftermath.
    As it is, it's a lovely shot of dog/human vegging on a couch, but I do like it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    It took me a minute to notice the dog. At first, I couldn't figure out what the subject was.

This is one of the reasons that I'm not convinced that black and white is necessarily the right choice for photos in this forum. In color, the subject would be distinct.

Color or black and white, I don't see the party connection.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Well, it made me laugh. The title set my up to expect something different and then the non sequitur actually make me chuckle out loud.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    It took me a minute to notice the dog. At first, I couldn't figure out what the subject was.

This is one of the reasons that I'm not convinced that black and white is necessarily the right choice for photos in this forum. In color, the subject would be distinct.

Color or black and white, I don't see the party connection.

Actually I found the colour version even more of a problem because the quilt is very brightly coloured and therefore distracting from my black dog.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    rutt wrote:
    Well, it made me laugh. The title set my up to expect something different and then the non sequitur actually make me chuckle out loud.
    Well I'm glad you at least got a laugh, rutt. :D

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    Actually I found the colour version even more of a problem because the quilt is very brightly coloured and therefore distracting from my black dog.

Of course the quilt would be a distraction with this one, and it boggles the mind how anyone could miss the dog's face - the iffy element is the child's face, which does get somewhat lost, between the quilt and its being so out of focus. This is one where, if possible, I might have tried to close the lens down a bit to get more depth of field. I might - Gasp! - have even used some fill flash in order to accomplish that.

But it is an amusing shot, and even with out empty champagne bottles on the floor, I 'get it.' (But yes, Liz, it could definitely be a 'Lazy Sunday' shot.'rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    B.D., that person is REALLY out of focus because it's the photo of a 60 year old woman! I'll let her know. You'll have just made her new decade. rolleyes1.gif

patti hinton photography