Pacific Sunset

bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
edited January 7, 2010 in Landscapes
Once again this year, I had a chance to visit SoCal for the holidays with the in-laws. The trade off for having to deal with that was getting the chance to take some sunset photos at Leo Carrillo SB near Malibu. I got my shoes soaked by a few rogue waves, but it was ok because the water was still warm. Here are a few of my favorites. Comments and constructive critique are always welcomed.
4233576093_5bc8836d52_b.jpg
4233576177_9a0c5790e1_b.jpg
4235277769_9c0d546094_b.jpg
4235277879_ec64e1077e_b.jpg
4237704446_89cf120ede_b.jpg
4236929797_3b76b61c87_b.jpg
4236930971_a8d0bfc263_b.jpg
4236931275_5684546a43_b.jpg

Comments

• goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Absolutely beautiful shots, and very creative! Makes me want to go to the beach!!!!thumb.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Very nice series, Bryan. I especially like #6 with the B&W conversion--I can feel the motion of the waves. Well done!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • naturallycandidnaturallycandid Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Absolutely beautiful!
  • Numbers GuyNumbers Guy Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    These are fantastic images. The lighting and composition are both great. Every time I think I'm getting the hang of this photography stuff, I see shots like these and realize I still have a lot to learn. How long are some of the exposures where you're getting the water movement? Any HDR involved, or are you using a neutral density filter to allow longer exposures? Always looking to improve my technique. Thanks for sharing.
    Doug Vaughn
    http://www.dougvaughn.com
    Canon 5D MKII and more lenses than my wife thinks I can afford.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Doug, to answer your questions:
    My shutter speed varied from .8 to 2 seconds to capture the motion of the water. I used graduated ND's on some (I forget which ones) and some HDR. 3, 4 and 5 are 3 shot HDR for the foreground and a single exposure for the sky blended in CS4. I use the Graduated Filter tool in Adobe Camera RAW and the Adjustment Brush as well on all of these.
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Bryan, you should visit your in-laws more often.mwink.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Stunning photos !clap.gif

I really liked water textures thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited January 3, 2010
    Thanks Cuong, Awais!!!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 3, 2010
    Really fantastic shots, Bryan! Love the colors in the first one, and the movement of the water in 2, 6 and 7. The rocks are probably a little too bright in the foreground on 4 and 5. But that's a minor nit on an otherwise excellent set. thumb.gif

BTW, just think, if you lived on the west coast, you could shoot those every day. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Wonderful set of images! I particularly love the BW conversions!
    edited January 3, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Really fantastic shots, Bryan! Love the colors in the first one, and the movement of the water in 2, 6 and 7. The rocks are probably a little too bright in the foreground on 4 and 5. But that's a minor nit on an otherwise excellent set. thumb.gif

BTW, just think, if you lived on the west coast, you could shoot those every day. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel. Yeah, shooting the coast at sunset is way more my thing than sunrise. I wouldn't want to live in SoCal, way too congested. Northern CA, WA or AZ. My wife wants to move us down south, so who knows?
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    great set! and I too know that rogue wave....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 3, 2010
    great set! and I too know that rogue wave....
    Thanks Aaron. At least the rogue wave only got my shoes. I guy I shoot with sometimes lost a 5DmkII recently to a rogue wave.
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    #2, #6 and #8- WOW. Looks like I will have to head out that way soon. mwink.gif

Cheers,
  • erickerick Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    very nice images
    edited January 6, 2010
    shniks wrote:
    #2, #6 and #8- WOW. Looks like I will have to head out that way soon. mwink.gif

Cheers,

Thanks! You should go soon, but go when it's cold. I shot there on a fairly warm day and there were still a lot of people there.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    I know I commented on these in FB Bryan, but seeing them again here reminds me of how much I loved #1iloveyou.gif , although they are all really good.

Dan
    edited January 6, 2010
    dlplumer wrote:
    I know I commented on these in FB Bryan, but seeing them again here reminds me of how much I loved #1iloveyou.gif , although they are all really good.

Dan

Thanks Dan!
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    :jawdrop

Wow is about all that I can get out. I love number 6 - my favorite of the bunch.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    These are all great shots. The first three are my favorites though. clap.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited January 7, 2010
    brvheart wrote:
    :jawdrop

Wow is about all that I can get out. I love number 6 - my favorite of the bunch.

Thanks!