Options

When to use a Diffuser

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited January 2, 2010 in Finishing School
Happy New Year Everyone. I haven't used my Speedlite 580 flash a lot. I have a diffuser for it and I always use it when taking macro shots. However, what is the general use regarding using the diffuser both indoors and outdoors. Also night and daytime. I have an outdoor shoot soon which is a car event and will be in floodlight. Once again I am at a loss whether to use the diffuser or not. I was thinking of using 17-55 2.8 lens.
Regards
Bob

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    I use a diffuser as often as I can. The diffuser makes the effective light source larger which makes the light softer. You get fewer hard reflections off skin. You get softer edges on the shadows.

The only time I don't use the diffuser is when I need max reach/power from the flash because the diffuser (by it's very nature) spreads the light out over more area thus reducing it's effective distance.

If you use gels, the diffuser may also be hard to use with gels.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    I use a diffuser as often as I can. The diffuser makes the effective light source larger which makes the light softer. You get fewer hard reflections off skin. You get softer edges on the shadows.

The only time I don't use the diffuser is when I need max reach/power from the flash because the diffuser (by it's very nature) spreads the light out over more area thus reducing it's effective distance.

If you use gels, the diffuser may also be hard to use with gels.
    Mostly 15524779-Ti.gif, the only difference is: with speedlights using the gels + diffusers is very easy, since, unlike studio units, gels are applied directly to the flash itself.

And don't forget: the closer your light, the softer it is deal.gifmwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    Nikolai wrote:
    Mostly 15524779-Ti.gif, the only difference is: with speedlights using the gels + diffusers is very easy, since, unlike studio units, gels are applied directly to the flash itself.

And don't forget: the closer your light, the softer it is deal.gifmwink.gif

Thanks John and Nikolai, so really speaking I should keep it on at all times with the exception as you say if I need maximum flash for instance. If I was taking indoor shots at an ordinary function I take it I would still keep it on. The reason I ask is because I am attending a party night for the car club and they have asked me to take photos for them. I have never done this before. Once again I was intending using 17-55.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    canon400d wrote:
    Thanks John and Nikolai, so really speaking I should keep it on at all times with the exception as you say if I need maximum flash for instance. If I was taking indoor shots at an ordinary function I take it I would still keep it on. The reason I ask is because I am attending a party night for the car club and they have asked me to take photos for them. I have never done this before. Once again I was intending using 17-55.
    Regards
    Bob
    I don't know what type of diffuser you're talking about, but keep in mind that most of the snap-ons (which are typically about 1/4 sq.ft or less) are ineffective at the distances over 10 ft. Depending on the ceiling type (bright/dark, high/low) you may consider using omnibouncer, or simply pointing the flash head up/at an angle. Since it's a party and you're shooting candids nobody would expect a studio quality lighting anyway, so don't sweat it...
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    Nikolai wrote:
    I don't know what type of diffuser you're talking about, but keep in mind that most of the snap-ons (which are typically about 1/4 sq.ft or less) are ineffective at the distances over 10 ft. Depending on the ceiling type (bright/dark, high/low) you may consider using omnibouncer, or simply pointing the flash head up/at an angle. Since it's a party and you're shooting candids nobody would expect a studio quality lighting anyway, so don't sweat it...

Hi Nikolai I really appreciate your reply. The diffuser I have is a proper plastic one. I can't remember the name of of it when I bought it. They obviously want good photos as there is a presentation too at this damned car club.Probably they will be sent to the local news paper with my creditation. So do you think I shouldn't bother using 580 flash with my 40D and 17-55 and just use the camera flash? I really apologise for labouring this.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    canon400d wrote:
    Hi Nikolai I really appreciate your reply. The diffuser I have is a proper plastic one. I can't remember the name of of it when I bought it. They obviously want good photos as there is a presentation too at this damned car club.Probably they will be sent to the local news paper with my creditation. So do you think I shouldn't bother using 580 flash with my 40D and 17-55 and just use the camera flash? I really apologise for labouring this.
    Regards
    Bob
    Bob, the "local newspaper" (I'm not talking LA/NY Times, naturally) will gladly take a P&S snapshot, so if you have a 40D + 17-55 + 580 just put it in P mode (ISO: A) and shoot away, you'll be fine.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2010
    Nikolai wrote:
    Bob, the "local newspaper" (I'm not talking LA/NY Times, naturally) will gladly take a P&S snapshot, so if you have a 40D + 17-55 + 580 just put it in P mode (ISO: A) and shoot away, you'll be fine.

Thanks for that Nikolai I will certainly do as you say. Howver, I always use Man Mode but if you think I should shoot P I will do that and keep clicking away and hope they come out ok as you say. Thanks a lot.
    Regards
    Bob