2009 collection

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 5, 2010 in People
Yup, another one - sorry to add to the fray! It sure is an interesting exercise, though.

In comparison to 2008 (which went from "glorified snapshot" to "sort of know what I"m doing") I'm not sure I can quite see the progression quite as clearly in this year's collection, other than that my processing has become way more adventurous (or at least I do more to my shots to reach what I consider a "finished" image), and that, unlike 2008, I went out and looked for (or created) opportunities to shoot. It's pretty amazing to see the difference in my daughter comparing last January to this one, though - even more change than I realised. :huh

2009 really has been "year of the camera" for me,. Thanks dgrinners for continuing to guide me as I pursue this - I'm looking forward to more in 2010!

<param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2009120303.swf?AlbumID=10763168&AlbumKey=fpA2F&transparent=true&bgColor=&borderThickness=&borderColor=&useInside=&endPoint=&mainHost=cdn.smugmug.com&VersionNos=2009120303&showLogo=false&width=600&height=600&clickToImage=true&captions=false&showThumbs=true&autoStart=true&showSpeed=true&pageStyle=white&showButtons=true&randomStart=false&randomize=false&splash=&splashDelay=0&crossFadeSpeed=350"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2009120303.swf?AlbumID=10763168&AlbumKey=fpA2F&transparent=true&bgColor=&borderThickness=&borderColor=&useInside=&endPoint=&mainHost=cdn.smugmug.com&VersionNos=2009120303&showLogo=false&width=600&height=600&clickToImage=true&captions=false&showThumbs=true&autoStart=true&showSpeed=true&pageStyle=white&showButtons=true&randomStart=false&randomize=false&splash=&splashDelay=0&crossFadeSpeed=350&quot; width="600" height="600" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" ></embed></object>

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    clap.gif
  • kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    congrats on the progress you've made! the photo of your daughter in front of the pink and yellow flowers is just gorgeous. you should be very proud of your work!
    Kristen
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    Awwww! What a great collection. So many great ones in 2009. Can't wait to see what you produce in 2010!

Virginia

Email
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Happy New Year.....Thanks for sharing.

thumb.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Great work Diva. It's fun seeing how Dgrinr's progress, and you certainly have clap.gif
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Very nice Diva!! clap.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Thanks so much, guys. Your encouragement and gentle guidance (and not so gentle when I've needed a good kick in the pants!) has really been what's made this possible, and you have no idea how much I appreciate each and every person who's taken the time to comment both with "attagirls" and constructive feedback for when things SUCK (along with how to make it better). Nobody could ever ask for better help and teaching than I get here!

Kris10jo, I think the shot you mean (in the plaid top?) is actually one of my daughter's buddies, which we shot just as the leaves were peaking - it was a "real" session so I was feeling a lot more pressure than I do when I'm shooting family and friends "just for fun" and a lot was going against us, not least of which the weather. It was POURING during that picture despite the "glowy" light, so I decided to try putting us on the porch under cover shooting out towards the leaves. I added light from camera right through my 45" shoothru umbrella, but to get rid of some of the distractions I had to shoot really wide and the bokeh did indeed turn it rather more floral than leafy! That shot was still both my favorite and the family's - despite the imperfections which I can see about it, I still love it.

And the fact that I can even write the paragraph above and knew what to do to try and salvage the shoot despite the weather is a very clear example of how much you all have taught me - thanks again (and still)!!!!! iloveyou.gifbow
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Really nice stuff in there!!
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    What a FAB collection, Diva!! Thanks so much for sharing (and for helping ME improve)! iloveyou.gif You've always taken the time for me...and I know it is because others have done that for you. THANK YOU and great work! :)
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Really a year of tremendous growth, DM.

Kudos to you!!clap.gifclap.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    What an awesome collection! That shot of your daughter in the polka-dot dress...how completely sweet is that??! I don't remember seeing that one before. You have added so many lovely portraits (and otherwise...love the Ferris wheel) to your galleries this year. I've appreciated your contributions here so much...they've helped me grow!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited January 5, 2010
    Thanks guys - each and every one of you should take the credit for any progress you see, since it's you all who made it happen! iloveyou.gif

Elaine, I think the picture you mention of her in the dress (and kitty ears - that was Pre KE Retirement since it was back in May) is possibly my favorite shot of her this year. Not only the visuals of it (love the Audrey Hepburn/Paris feel that streetlamp gave it) but the afternoon was a memorable occasion, and even though she didn't really want me to take pictures we had some silly fun with it as I chased her around the streets. Definitely a shot I will treasure for purely sentimental reasons!
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Awwww I really liked seeing these Divamum.
    Out of all the ones you posted, my absolute favorite is the one of the woman in the black veil--full face shot, very direct, complete with piercing stare. Um is that you?

Wonderful shots!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    As always very inspiring work plus I love to see what is new with little Diva. You do more than just share photos, you seem to be able to make me see things just a little differently . Thanks for all of your time , effort and work that you share.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    edited January 5, 2010
    Awwww I really liked seeing these Divamum.
    Out of all the ones you posted, my absolute favorite is the one of the woman in the black veil--full face shot, very direct, complete with piercing stare. Um is that you?

Wonderful shots!

Ha! Yes, me. The photo was an intentional copy of the famous Gloria Swanson/Steichen portrait for the "Emulation" challenge and, as always, I'm the only model I know who's always available when I'm in the mood to shoot. rolleyes1.gif Lots of makeup and processing on that one lol3.gif (no comment. rolleyes1.gif Since you've met me, you know just how MUCH makeup and pp it took to get that! Btw, you know that audition I was in town for the time before we managed to meet up? I got the gig :D)
    edited January 5, 2010
    VayCayMom wrote:
    As always very inspiring work plus I love to see what is new with little Diva. You do more than just share photos, you seem to be able to make me see things just a little differently . Thanks for all of your time , effort and work that you share.

I don't know that you could have given me a nicer compliment, Trudy - thank you! iloveyou.gif
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    divamum wrote:
    Ha! Yes, me. The photo was an intentional copy of the famous Gloria Swanson/Steichen portrait for the "Emulation" challenge and, as always, I'm the only model I know who's always available when I'm in the mood to shoot. rolleyes1.gif Lots of makeup and processing on that one lol3.gif (no comment. rolleyes1.gif Since you've met me, you know just how MUCH makeup and pp it took to get that! Btw, you know that audition I was in town for the time before we managed to meet up? I got the gig :D)

oh yeay! I wondered about that, but didn't want to ask.
    Glad to hear that:D :D:D .
    Liz A.
    _________