[Gorio] - A Mystical Safari: Siquijor Island, Apo Island and Dumaguete Philippines

GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited January 8, 2010 in Landscapes
I’ve always been intrigued with talisman, myths, spiritual healers and black magic. Growing up as child comics, tv, MGB and stories from our elders gave meaning to this imagination. In a funny way I love the thought of being scared and it still continues up to this date.

Last long weekend I needed a break from the usual parties and spend the 3 days off to be inspired! Good thing my friend Harold and Weng are in town and we were up for an Adventure. Join me as we embark on a Mystical light chasing Safari to Siquijor Island, Apo Island and Dumagauete.

ISO 100 l 17mm l f8 l 1/125" l CPL l .9 ND GRAD SE l 5DMK2 l 17-40L

4152490519_1c7b0664f0_o.jpg
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."

Comments

• GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    I've never seen such a big sun rising in the horizon. I was surprised with this view and it took my breath away. Amazing!

In the town of Maluay,Zamboangita 35 kms away from Dumaguete you can reach Malatapay Market. Inside the busy part of Maluay, you can see the port going to Apo Island. We went there around 4am to catch a boat so we can shoot sunrise at the other side of Apo. Unfortunately, locals find the shark infested waters and strong waves too perilous to have a trip that early. So just to wait and kill time we shot sunrise at Malatapay coastal. Good thing there are interesting foreground at that area and the sunrise isn’t that bad at all! See the island there? That’s Apo!

ISO 100 l 19mm l f11 l 30" l ND8 l .9 NDGRAD SE l 5DMK2 l 17-40L

4159984144_645c88a421_o.jpg
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."
    edited January 2, 2010
    Built in the year 1870, another century – old religious heritage is the St. Francis of Assisi Bell Tower and Church. Made up mostly of corals, the church is located in the town of Siquijor, Siquijor near the local pier. It was intentionally positioned there to give the guests and travelers a grand Siquijodnon welcome with blessings and goodwill upon arrival at the Siquijor Pier. The church has its own watch tower or bell tower built to protect and forewarn the island folks of approaching pirates and other adversaries. - Siquijor Tourism
    ISO 50 l 17mm l f11 l .5" l CPL l .9 NDGRAD SE l 5DMK2 l 17-40L

4154799057_88a545808b_o.jpg
    edited January 2, 2010
    Apo Island, a small and pristine island that offers fantastic snorkelling and some of the best diving in the Philippines. This Island has some lovely and scenic view with a magnificent and good assorment of dive sites. Stunning and outstanding hard and soft corals are all around and enormous table corals, stag horns, brain corals and fire corals can be seen. You will also encounter lovely beaches and a tranquil, relaxing atmosphere, as no automobiles are allowed on the island. The waters around Apo Island are calm due to the unique coral formations that also attract an array of marine life, making this an ideal diving location. - http://www.aposhore.com/
    ISO 50 l 17mm l f11 l 5" l CPL l .9 NDGRAD SE l 5DMK2 l 17-40L

4157839190_db622b7625_o.jpg
    edited January 2, 2010
    The 350 STEPS traversing down Casaroro constitutes of lush greens, cool breeze and sound of birds echoing! This must be one of the tallest and awesome falls I’ve been too. I almost forgot about Hagimit haha. It’s so clean and the rock formations are just great! Now, The PAIN starts at 200 steps going up!

Casaroro falls is hidden deep inside the province of Valencia. Going there you have to rent a van (pho600-1000/ 20$) or drive from Dumaguete City roughly around 12km away. There’s only so much road going to Casaroro falls then you have to walk/hike for another 20-30min to reach the entrance. There’s a fee worth 10bucks, just a small amount to help the local government preserve and maintain the surroundings.

ISO 50 l 17mm l f11 l 8" l CPL l .9 NDGRAD SE l 5DMK2 l 17-40L

4170807555_a7163a0622_o.jpg

more to come HAPPY NEW YEAR!iloveyou.gif
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2010
    I love how clean and crisp your photos are, plus your exceptional (or minimalist) editing. Love it and look forward to more.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
    edited January 3, 2010
    Tharhawk wrote:
    I love how clean and crisp your photos are, plus your exceptional (or minimalist) editing. Love it and look forward to more.

thanks tharhawk, wanted to keep my images as close to natural colors hence the minimal editing. will post more soon.iloveyou.gif
    edited January 8, 2010
    Gandang tanghali kaibigan:) More narration, more pictures please:D

We went there on a Sunday around 9am and the church was packed with devotees and locals attending the mass. We waited for it to finish so I could take pictures of the altar and the interiors of the church. We noticed how old the details on the floor and paints on the ceiling. They were not restored at all. You can actually smell that distinct "old wood" inside the church.

"St. Isidore Labradore Church; Convent in Lazi is known as the biggest convent in the whole of Asia. Its conceptualization and construction began in 1857 by Augustinian Recollects and was completed by Filipino artisans in the year 1884. In the 1970’s, both the church and the convent were declared National Historical Shrines" - Siquijor Tourism

ISO 50 l 17mm l f16 l 10" l CPL l 5DMK2 l 17-40L

4258626344_6d959ea351_o.jpg
    edited January 8, 2010
    is the 1st image I took when i reached Apo island. I was at awe looking at this cliff with its multiple and well defined layers. It was shaped by time and it really is the work of Nature. My only wish is that the locals would continue to preserve Apo and it will give them more in return.

Apo Island, a small and pristine island that offers fantastic snorkelling and some of the best diving in the Philippines. This Island has some lovely and scenic view with a magnificent and good assorment of dive sites. Stunning and outstanding hard and soft corals are all around and enormous table corals, stag horns, brain corals and fire corals can be seen. You will also encounter lovely beaches and a tranquil, relaxing atmosphere, as no automobiles are allowed on the island. The waters around Apo Island are calm due to the unique coral formations that also attract an array of marine life, making this an ideal diving location. - www.aposhore.com/

ISO 100 l 17mm l f9 l 1/50" l CPL l .9 NDGRAD SE l 5DMK2 l 17-40L

4244495996_2186078e80_o.jpg