Ten Legged Spider???

LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
edited January 5, 2010 in Holy Macro
Saw this fellow crawling across the garage floor tonight. Shot with the 5D, 100mm macro and cropped a bit the frame is about 30mm wide so he's a pretty good sized spider (at least for my neighborhood). My best guess is that he is some flavor of Solifugae or sun spider, but I really don't know what he is.

756057513_iHWTQ-L.jpg

Thanks.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Lovely shot - looks like a sac spider species. Only 8 legs and 2 palps near the fangs.
    Brian v.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Nice shot. I don't know what else they are used for, but the palps in front (also called pedipalps) are used to stuff food into their mouths:

646527676_NFkTN-XL.jpg
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Lovely shot - looks like a sac spider species. Only 8 legs and 2 palps near the fangs.
    Brian v.

Thanks.

After a bit more research I found out it is a dysdera crocata, commonly known as a woodlouse spider. Presumably the palps are large because they need to be able to crack open a woodlouse (which I grew up calling a roly-poly or pill bug).
    edited January 3, 2010
    paddler4 wrote:
    Nice shot. I don't know what else they are used for, but the palps in front (also called pedipalps) are used to stuff food into their mouths:

Thanks. I took a closer look and, like in your remarkable shot, the palps on the woodlouse spider are jointed. In my shot that joint is mostly hidden which makes it look like there is an extra set of legs. In this tighter crop from my shot the joint is clearer. Next time I see one, I know better what I want to capture if I can. This fellow was running around and was I chasing him with camera one hand and strobe in the other so I pretty much had to take what I could get.

756942066_ZozE4-L.jpg
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    The species in mine is much easier to catch. They spin webs in convenient places, like under eaves, and then just sit there a lot of the time. As long as you don't scare them--the thump of setting down my tripod scared that one away once--they will just sit there and let you take pictures. It's much harder when they run around. I posted this one earlier, but because it is relevant, I'll post it again. I ran around the room chasing this guy, with a shoe-mounted flash and so I could shoot with one hand, and finally just put my finger in his path:

720619865_AtrbV-L.jpg
    edited January 5, 2010
    I like the finger in that shot as it really gives a sense of scale. When I disturbed the woodlouse spider too much he would stop and do this:

757797260_Tqegi-L.jpg

which kept him still but didn't make for the greatest of pictures.