portrait during a snowstorm

MadisonPhotographyMadisonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited January 3, 2010 in People
I'd love to hear what you think about this shot...totally unedited...

Comments

• StevemacStevemac Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    I love the expressions you have captured all seem very at ease,but my niggles are the hand of the young girl being cut off slightly and the back end of the father (i pressume it is) not being in shot maybe cropped a little lower and centered the pic thumb.gif

steve.
  • du8diedu8die Registered Users Posts: 358 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Hi,

Thanks for posting. Here's what I see - I hope this is helpful.

You mention that it's totally unedited. Why? Just curious. Seems to me a bit of work will improve this image and go a long way.

It seems a tad underexposed to me. Not much. Maybe 1/3 of a stop. Maybe...

I really think the grouping with mom and the kids works well, but dad is kind of unattached. I wish he was closer to the rest of the family.

Personally, I would have waited until after the snow stopped falling to capture this - I know in reality it may not have been possible, but I think the flakes distract from the image quite a bit. Makes it look like you weren't careful.

I'm also not thrilled about the railing in the background. Strong horizontal lines through people's heads are a no-no (so I've been told). (I've been blasted for that one before. mwink.gif)

As I've been looking more, I think just the dad is a touch underexposed. Maybe....

Nice looking family - you've got a lot of things working for you.

I hope this is helpful. Posting and getting specific feedback is a great way to learn!

d8
    H2 Photography - Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.

Why do people post their equipment in their sig. Isn't it kind of like bragging? That having been said...

Canon 40d Gripped (x2), Rebel (Original), Canon 70-200 f/2.8 USM L, Canon 300 f/4, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 17-55 f/3.5-5.6, ThinkTank Airport TakeOff
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Aside from the girl's hand being cut off, I actually like the crop, as it shows the wintery trees. I'm also not bothered by the flakes. Now, keep in mind that I'm a Texan, so I find snow totally enchanting. I also think it would have been tricky to get the dad in any closer, and he maintains connection with the group by having his hand on the dog with his son.

I'd love to see an edited version with more exposure and contrast!

Caroline