Painted backdrop,mulin or digital background

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited January 4, 2010 in Technique
So I'm looking at converting one of my garages into a studio. Would you recommend I use a cloth mulin backdrop, use a green screen and add a digital background or paint each wall a different color. Such as one wall being black, another white, maybe the other being a light grey tone?

Comments

• malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    justin24 wrote:
    So I'm looking at converting one of my garages into a studio. Would you recommend I use a cloth mulin backdrop, use a green screen and add a digital background or paint each wall a different color. Such as one wall being black, another white, maybe the other being a light grey tone?

All of the above. White and black are always useful and if you have the option of painting some walls, that great. I highly recommend the green screen material available from http://www.eefx.com/.

As for muslins, the good one can get pretty expensive. I made a couple using cheap muslin from Walmart, some dye, some string, and a bucket (think tie-dye). I also have one that I bought on sale for a very good price at Amvona.com.

A good money saving tip for hanging these things... a 10 ft length of metal electrical conduit costs $2-3 at Home Depot and works great!
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    justin24 wrote:
    So I'm looking at converting one of my garages into a studio. Would you recommend I use a cloth muslin backdrop, use a green screen and add a digital background or paint each wall a different color. Such as one wall being black, another white, maybe the other being a light grey tone?

If you can do it....I would go with:
    1- black - paint wall and floor with a good quality black paint....then over coat it with a good quality flat clear coat so you can mop it as necessary - total cost should be in the 2-50 $ range.................

2- 1-3 muslins.....try to find out what is in your area being used and get something way different.....here is alink to a company that airbrushes backdrops
    { BackDrops.us } for real cheap....I am getting ready to order from them in a week or 2....another place is backdrop outlet ....they have some crazy sells at times.............
    One should be white, especially if you are going to do seniors (girls especially like hi key) and weddings (white is great for bridal shots) and for product photography.....
    Green / Blue Screen takes a real skill...not to hoot with it but to take the trdious time to remove the bg and replace with another bg.....the prob lies in womens hairdos....some like to poof up the hair leaving tiny holes for the green/blue screen to show thru...that has to be removed.....there are really good masking programs out there but that is extra money to be spent.
    They can be a real boon if no one else is doing it....but it can also be done with black and white backgrounds or any solid color that your client is not wearing.....

A piece of electrical conduit can be an easy way to hang a single backdrop that will never need to be rolled up....I am looking at THESE ... from ebay....inexpensive and will hold 3 bg's....................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    Thanks for the valuable info. I'll probably go with the paint. I also have an extra room I am turning into my office.