My 2009 review

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited January 6, 2010 in People
Year in review:

I started 2009 with a P&S and no intentions of becoming a photographer. In February, my daughter broke that camera so it was time to shop for a new one. I don't really know how my interest in a dslr came about, but i decided to buy a d40 and master it no matter what it took. When I first got it, I didn't know what a single control or option meant or how to even work the thing. Once I started learning, I was hooked! I quickly outgrew the d40 and moved on to the d90. I am still a newbie and always learning of course, but at least now I can operate it with my eyes closed. Quite a leap from february! I have a rather large collection of pictures of my daughter, have done a couple shoots for friends, and second shot 4 weddings. 2010 already has 6 weddings lined up (4 as a second, 1 for an old friend in another state, and the other one I will sort of be second-ing..the photographer I work with is getting married and asked me to be one of the shooters!)

So here are some of my favorite shots of the year. Not all technically perfect, and going back and looking a them I see lots of mistakes and things I could've done differently but overall i'm happy with my progression. Hopefully 2010 will bring even more experience and better work!

<object classid="clsid:D<param name="movie" value="http://www.melissakayser.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2009120303.swf?AlbumID=10844952&amp;AlbumKey=xBzsa&amp;transparent=true&amp;bgColor=&amp;borderThickness=&amp;borderColor=&amp;useInside=&amp;endPoint=&amp;mainHost=www.melissakayser.com&amp;VersionNos=2009120303&amp;width=700&amp;height=700&amp;clickToImage=true&amp;captions=true&amp;showThumbs=true&amp;autoStart=true&amp;showSpeed=true&amp;pageStyle=white&amp;showButtons=true&amp;randomStart=false&amp;randomize=false&amp;splash=http://www.smugmug.com/img/ria/ShizamSlides/smugmug_black.png&amp;splashDelay=0&amp;crossFadeSpeed=350&quot;&gt;&lt;param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.melissakayser.com/ria/ShizamSlides-2009120303.swf?AlbumID=10844952&amp;AlbumKey=xBzsa&amp;transparent=true&amp;bgColor=&amp;borderThickness=&amp;borderColor=&amp;useInside=&amp;endPoint=&amp;mainHost=www.melissakayser.com&amp;VersionNos=2009120303&amp;width=700&amp;height=700&amp;clickToImage=true&amp;captions=true&amp;showThumbs=true&amp;autoStart=true&amp;showSpeed=true&amp;pageStyle=white&amp;showButtons=true&amp;randomStart=false&amp;randomize=false&amp;splash=http://www.smugmug.com/img/ria/ShizamSlides/smugmug_black.png&amp;splashDelay=0&amp;crossFadeSpeed=350&quot; width="700" height="700" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" ></embed></object>

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Very nice slideshow!
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    um...I see a blank square.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    fixed maybe?? not sure...i'm having a heck of a time embedding this slideshow. I copied the embedded code, and when I put it in it leaves the text. Last time I deleted, but maybe I should've left it. Don't know why it's doing that, all i'm doing is copying and pasting the code. Anyone else having problems with it?
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Yes, for some reason the first part of the code turns up as random gobbledygook. Just excise that (and only that) and it will leave the slideshow but without the random code.

And as to the slideshow.... clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif! I think you, Kidzmom, MissB and LizzardNYC all tie for the "Quickstart Newcomers Award" in 2009!!!!!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Wohooooo!!! Sooo pretty. I especially enjoyed the photos of your little daughter (s?). She's ADORABLE!!! And I always thought the thingy she's kissing in your avatar was a goose rolleyes1.gif

Thanks so much for sharing. You got an awesome & very diverse set!! clap.gif
  • CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    <---blank square...er...rectangle.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    For me too. I don't know why I can't see any of these. :(:
    edited January 3, 2010
    anything yet?

well in any case for those that can't see it here's a link

http://www.melissakayser.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=10844952&AlbumKey=xBzsa
    edited January 3, 2010
    Angie- ha ha that's funny about the goose! that is from the first time I took my daughter out for a "shoot"! one of my all time favorites! thanks for the kind comment!

Diva-thank you, very confident boosting! Saw your slideshow on your thread! Love your work too, and I know what you mean about this place being incredibly helpful. I don't think I'd be where i am without you guys!

thank you Andrew!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    mellissa, you come such a long way in your photography! it's so great! may 2010 bring as much learning and enjoymentwings.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    Oh Melissa!!

What you have done in a year!!!!wings.gifwings.gif AND WEDDINGS!! ( I am jealous )bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

You have 2 gifts, your daughter and your talent. I kind of think of you like the chicken and the egg, which came first, your beautiful daughter or your desire to take photographs? I feel that perhaps your daughter had an influence on your style , because it works so perfectly with her.

You have accomplished a lot in one year, amazing. I began 2 years ago with a fancy camera that I used only as P&S but I loved to play with Photoshop. So I can relate to your journey.
    Congratulations!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    edited January 5, 2010
    Thank you both very much! I truly believe that I would still be fumbling around with the d40 had I not discovered this place. Very inspiring and amazing photographers here! I can only hope to get 3x better this year! Trudy your comments are very kind. I think wanting better pictures of my daughter really had an influence. I always liked to take pictures, but easily got frustrated with strong head on flash and shutter delay. oh it used to p*** me off so bad! Regarding the weddings...well I sort of lucked out. Back in May i got a little ballsy and posted a craigslist ad wanting to tag along with someone for free, just to see what it's like. Well the guy that responded ended up bringing me along with him to 2 weddings, and after the second he told me he liked me more than any of his other second shooters (not sure that says much about the people he has worked with before lol) and moved me to the primary second shooter spot. AND wants me to be a shooter on his wedding?? Don't get me wrong, I don't think I completely suck...but I just really wonder what the other people were like! rolleyes1.gif But in all seriousness, we work together well and I really enjoy doing it. I'm looking forward to a rockin' year!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    You have moved along mighty fast, lady! Congrats on all your wonderful photos and learning and success! Amazing!!!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited January 6, 2010
    Elaine wrote:
    You have moved along mighty fast, lady! Congrats on all your wonderful photos and learning and success! Amazing!!!

Thank you very much Elaine!