The Hike

WoogiekidsWoogiekids Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited January 4, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I can't decide if this does anything for me. C&C? Just a snapshot, or something better?

noah.jpg

Comments

• catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    have you tried different crops? right now, the boy and horizon are nearly dead center. Try less sky or more fence and less field on the right? play with it! :D
    //Leah
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 3, 2010
    I'd give it a nice horizontal crop so that the trail comes from the lower right of the image and you have equal parts sky and trail. I used the browser window to mask a little and it looked better to me like that.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • WoogiekidsWoogiekids Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2010
    Both good ideas. I played around with the crops originally, but couldn't quite seem to get it to where it felt right to me. Back to cropage. :D
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    The shot has some excellent elements in it that the cropping may improve. I actually encourage you to try cropping the bottom instead of the sky. Keeping the child centered may work and now gives the impression of ascending into the sky/future...
    edited January 4, 2010
    OK, did a little work, and darkened the clouds a bit. What do you think?

noah2.jpg
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    I really think that the tree adds to the image and prefer the first shot. If anything I would crop the sky a little less than 1/2 way down to the tree top. This would raise the boy a bit from vertical center. I like the horizontal centering of the boy. I prefer to crop the top rather than the bottom which would diminish the symbolism of the long, sometimes difficult, path we travel from childhood to maturity.

BTW I really like this image! Well done. clap.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited January 4, 2010
    I ended up deciding on the original as well. I just darkened the sky a bit, a bit of sky crop, and I think....think....I'm happy with it.

Thank you!

noah-1-1.jpg
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    I'd be very happy with it. Its such a wonderful photo thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif