Options

Visiting Yosemite Park

pleblancpleblanc Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited January 23, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
Hi Folks

I am a planning on being in the Sacramento area during the end of January and looking for some guidance. My plan is to visit Yosemite National Park but know very little about it and would like to know the best areas to visit during this time of year.
Any information on the park or other areas that i should really see would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
Paul LeBlanc

Comments

• Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    Hey Paul, I cant help with any location info, but I know a few people that roll through that area and I can send them a PM. also, there is a search feature that you can use to find older threads that have possibly covered this info.ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited January 4, 2010
    You may arrive to find the park blanketed in snow. That said, you should carry chains. Not often needed in the valley but sometimes as you travel to the park, there will be a requirement. Warm clothing and maybe some Sorel's (winter boots) if you plan on hiking in the snow too.

How long did you plan on staying? You can see the valley in a day but that's not doing it justice. Many of the hiking trails are still accessible and the area around Wawona is beautiful as is the Glacier Point area (you will have to ski or snowshoe if you want to go to Glacier Point as the road is closed for the winter). The view from Tunnel View is classic and the meadows and rock formations with snow on them.

If you want to stay in the park, start calling now for reservations. It can fill quickly.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2010
    Yosemite
    ian408 wrote:
    You may arrive to find the park blanketed in snow. That said, you should carry chains. Not often needed in the valley but sometimes as you travel to the park, there will be a requirement. Warm clothing and maybe some Sorel's (winter boots) if you plan on hiking in the snow too.

How long did you plan on staying? You can see the valley in a day but that's not doing it justice. Many of the hiking trails are still accessible and the area around Wawona is beautiful as is the Glacier Point area (you will have to ski or snowshoe if you want to go to Glacier Point as the road is closed for the winter). The view from Tunnel View is classic and the meadows and rock formations with snow on them.

If you want to stay in the park, start calling now for reservations. It can fill quickly.

Thanks for the info. I am planning on staying the weekend and renting a car. Not sure if chains will be available. Maybe i should stay at the lower elevations or try another photo destination. Any suggestions
    Paul LeBlanc
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2010
    pleblanc wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I am planning on staying the weekend and renting a car. Not sure if chains will be available. Maybe i should stay at the lower elevations or try another photo destination. Any suggestions

You will be able to get a better idea on the chain situation as you get closer in time to your visit. Check the weather for snow. You can always get chains on your way up, I live in Mariposa just outside the park and I know most local places sell chains. As for photos, Michael Frye's book "A Photographer's Guide to Yosemite" is basically the standard for the goto shots. Other than that, just explore and photograph what strikes your eye. But as said before, the weather can change quickly, so please be prepared.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2010
    i wouldn't let the lack of chains keep you from the park. Ask them to put them in the car and if they don't or can't, follow ten's advice and pick them up on the way.

In my opinion, winter is when the park really shows itself well. The throngs of visitors are gone and it's almost like having the place to yourself. Aside from winter being a beautiful time of year there thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2010
    ian408 wrote:
    i wouldn't let the lack of chains keep you from the park. Ask them to put them in the car and if they don't or can't, follow ten's advice and pick them up on the way.

In my opinion, winter is when the park really shows itself well. The throngs of visitors are gone and it's almost like having the place to yourself. Aside from winter being a beautiful time of year there thumb.gif

During the week i will be staying in Sacramento. Can you offer any advice on some local must see places.
    Paul LeBlanc
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2010
    pleblanc wrote:
    During the week i will be staying in Sacramento. Can you offer any advice on some local must see places.
    I don't know much about SAC but I do know the Railroad Museum is well worth a visit!
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2010
    ian408 wrote:
    I don't know much about SAC but I do know the Railroad Museum is well worth a visit!

Thanks everyone for the information. Now lets see how difficult it will be to board a plane with my camera gear seeing they dont recommend any carry ons at this current time.
    Paul LeBlanc
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,455 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Just want to second Michael Frye's book "A Photographer's Guide to Yosemite". I have that in my camera bag at all times. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Paul,

Yosemite covered in a blanket of snow is absolutely incredible!

A couple of years ago I spent a few days there. The weather kept the tourist population way down. Even with the snow they were running the shuttle buses.

I spent the day hiking and and only saw one couple on a hike up to Vernon falls.

Note: Make sure you have boots with good traction on snow and ice!!!

It was like being totally alone in the pristine wilderness.

Dress in layers, keep your batteries next to your body and have spares.

I plan on going there at the end of Jan or Feb.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    Paul,

I spent the day hiking and and only saw one couple on a hike up to Vernon falls.

It was like being totally alone in the pristine wilderness.

Sam

I love it when that happens! so long as those few people arn't packing pro gearlol3.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    what overlook/view is this one?

and how much dry ice do I need to recreate this?:D

http://lepingzha.smugmug.com/gallery/507003_WnwSh/1/20790845_b8UQB/Medium
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010

What a beautiful shot. I will bring a few blocks of dry ice and see what i can accomplish

Paul
    Paul LeBlanc
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010

The park rangers set that up twice a day. Early morning and again just before sunset lol3.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010

it's Tunnel View. You'll find it on SmugMug's homepage slideshow also, and we have a 6foot wide version of this print on our walls at our offices. Stunning :jawdrop
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    it's Tunnel View. You'll find it on SmugMug's homepage slideshow also, and we have a 6foot wide version of this print on our walls at our offices. Stunning :jawdrop

:D one of these days I will get to Yosemite, and also one day get to see all those prints your always mentioning thumb.gif

thanks for pointing out the name, over the past couple of years when I find myself going to a new place I find it a little weird/surreal/unexpected when I come across something IRL that I've seen in photography.... and I guess this view will be one of those times.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    ian408 wrote:
    The park rangers set that up twice a day. Early morning and again just before sunset lol3.gif

I figured.... it's right there next to the Golden Light button, right?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    pleblanc wrote:
    What a beautiful shot. I will bring a few blocks of dry ice and see what i can accomplish

Paul

Good luck man! report backthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    If weather is good you may not need chains to get tot the park. Hwy 140 is the best way in for the winter, Hwy 120 has more elevation gain. Both will be the good way to go from Sacramento. The park is still accessible but many parts will be closed in the winter. You can still get plenty of good vistas. In Sacramento you have Old Sacramento, the Capitol, Sutters Fort.
    Hopefully you will have some blue sky. the valley fog has been sitting in here for the past few weeks. If you have fog it is best to go up to the mountains where the sun will be shining. Lake Tahoe and the Mother lode Gold Area Yosemite. If Yosemite is snowed in you can always go to the coast which is about the same drive time to the west.
    Dont some rental car companies frown on the use of chains?deal.gif
    Shoes with good traction are definitely a good idea. I was in Tahoe Jan 2nd seen several people go down due to the well packed and icy snow. We did not need chains for the car but even my well lugged hiking boots could have used some of the treads that stretch and fit over shoes for ice traction.
    Have a nice trip. If there is any other Sacramento info you need let me know
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2010
    Time is coming
    Well the time is coming soon and im really getting anxious. I have been watching the weather and hoping that mother nature is good to me when i get there. It should be a really good weekend to venture out into some new areas to shoot.

Paul
    Paul LeBlanc
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2010
    Paul when are you coming up? Is supposed to dump snow until Friday (I've heard about 10 feet), then clear up for the weekend.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2010
    Paul when are you coming up? Is supposed to dump snow until Friday (I've heard about 10 feet), then clear up for the weekend.

I will be available to sight see anytime after friday noon until mid Sunday Jan 29 - Jan 31

Paul
    Paul LeBlanc
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2010
    Yes as far as snow goes it should be beautiful.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Yes as far as snow goes it should be beautiful.

I just booked an SUV and was wondering what the details on chains. What is the cost to buy vs rent since i cant take them home on the plane with me.

Paul
    Paul LeBlanc
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2010
    I know the Les Schwab Tire stores let you return them in the spring if you do not use them. But I am not sure if there is a shorter time frame. You could always UPS them home.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2010
    Ask the rental company. You might also consider watching the weather and buying them on the way up (SAC is a better bet as the nearer you get to the snow, the more they will cost). Most of the time, 4WD with M+S (mud and snow) tires will be fine.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2010
    ian408 wrote:
    Ask the rental company. You might also consider watching the weather and buying them on the way up (SAC is a better bet as the nearer you get to the snow, the more they will cost). Most of the time, 4WD with M+S (mud and snow) tires will be fine.

Was it said that you can get them at wall mart ?Can they be bought in Sacramento and returned just outside the park ? What kind a $$$ price are on these ? Do they actually check the vehicles to see if you are carrying them ?

Paul
    Paul LeBlanc
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2010
    pleblanc wrote:
    Was it said that you can get them at wall mart ?Can they be bought in Sacramento and returned just outside the park ? What kind a $$$ price are on these ? Do they actually check the vehicles to see if you are carrying them ?

Paul

Chains usually cost around $50. Price is dependent on tire size. I don't know whether a place like Walmart carries chains or what the return policy is.

I've been in Yosemite when there's been a chain requirement. I drive an AWD car. If you have 4x4 or AWD and M+S tires, it's usually enough to drive in the park unless it is snowing heavily. The ranger monitoring the chain control will ask and he or she may want to see the chains. However, in all the winter weather years I have been going to the park, I have never been asked to show my chains.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2010
    Oh. If you do buy chains, don't forget to get the tensioners or the chains will come off the tires possibly causing some serious damage to the car.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2010
    ian408 wrote:
    Oh. If you do buy chains, don't forget to get the tensioners or the chains will come off the tires possibly causing some serious damage to the car.

Thanks i will remember that. I will try and rent if i can. Looking at all the snow falling it shoudl be spectacular for photos, im really looking forward to it.

Any suggestions now on what hotel to stay at close by so that i can be close by for morning light ?

Paul
    Sleep is over rated when you can be outside shooting
    Paul LeBlanc