27 published pages-holiday gift guide

JimmyHickeyJimmyHickey Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited January 8, 2010 in People
A while back in November I was assigned to shoot one third of the holiday gift guide for PaintballX3 magazine. I met up with another photographer and friend Matthew Gilbertson and started planning for the shoot. Looking at the random amount of paintball gear and apparel that had been sent to us for the shoot, we decided to have the shoot based around a Christmas party that just gets way too out of hand. We got our friends together and being all college students with nothing but small dorms and apartments to work with, we were able to find an abandoned laundry facility that was owned by a family friend. That location was full of challenges including no inside lighting, no furniture and creepy onlookers outside, but we were able to work around them and get the shoot up and running. Looking back on it I feel we would have done things a bit differently if done now, however this shoot was a major learning experience for both of us, and I feel we did the best we could at the time and fulfilled the magazines requirements. The editor was pleased with the images as well. Please let me know what you think!

Here is a link to the video of me flipping through the pages showing more of the images and explaining things a bit more in depth-
http://jimmy-hickey.blogspot.com/2010/01/27-pages-of-published-work.html

Here are some of my favorite images from the set,
677186837_7oDm7-L.jpg
678851876_WLXYw-L.jpg
678833985_aV4BZ-L.jpg
679321134_7xATD-L.jpg
679309151_LfXuB-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• JimmyHickeyJimmyHickey Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Anyone? I am really excited about this set and publication, and would appreciate hearing what others had to say
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    If there's one thing I certainly take from this is that it has nothing to do with paintball. A christmas party gone awry...yes. The PB equipment is tough to see quickly and plainly...it's almost a "where's waldo?" type search. I played for many years (Tippman Bad A$$! :D) and know what I'm looking for. Others thumbing through a publication may not see this as such. I don't get the surprise flame-up either....what's it from?
  • JimmyHickeyJimmyHickey Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    If there's one thing I certainly take from this is that it has nothing to do with paintball. A christmas party gone awry...yes. The PB equipment is tough to see quickly and plainly...it's almost a "where's waldo?" type search. I played for many years (Tippman Bad A$$! :D) and know what I'm looking for. Others thumbing through a publication may not see this as such. I don't get the surprise flame-up either....what's it from?
    haha good point, thats pretty much what we were going for, so perfect:)
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Seems a bit posed.
    Growing with Dgrin

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    I have no idea what these photos have to do with paint ball stuff, but I love #5. clap.gifclap

Sam
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Makes more sense after watching the video on your blog. Nice work.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips