Ellen, Bob, Alex, and Grandma

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited January 5, 2010 in People
Alex (the one with the thick man beard) is my best friend and this is his family. They asked me to do their "Christmas" pictures this year... ...yeah, she forgot to do it on time, so these will be used for next year most likely.

Did their session on Sunday after church in the lobby. Brought my AB800's, softboxes, lightstands, and everything really... They were ancy the whole time because they wanted to hurry up so we could go to Olive Garden. I literally had about 5 minutes to setup, 5 minutes to shoot, and 5 minutes to tear down everything... I was out of breath.

Because they were in a hurry, we really only did two different shot, and here are the best of those two.

CC on the lighting and processing is welcome and appreciated. Keep in mind I don't have a meter yet, and I didn't have time to setup my laptop to shoot tethered so I guessed everything from chimping.

757854065_wQzjb-XL-1.jpg

757853849_CCeNN-XL-1.jpg

Coming soon! Gary and Mary's Engagement Pictures from a session on Saturday! Look for it in the Weddings forum.
Jer

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Lighting and posing look alright. What really, really bugs me is that you shot into a corner of the room. In the first image, the sharp demarkation caused by the corner (and that fact that this appears near the center of the image) gives the illusion that one is looking at two different images. In the second, that same corner splits the image in an un-kind manner. Aside from that these are OK. But, I think I would offer to re-shoot them or figure some way to remove that corner in post.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Lighting and posing look alright. What really, really bugs me is that you shot into a corner of the room. In the first image, the sharp demarkation caused by the corner (and that fact that this appears near the center of the image) gives the illusion that one is looking at two different images. In the second, that same corner splits the image in an un-kind manner. Aside from that these are OK. But, I think I would offer to re-shoot them or figure some way to remove that corner in post.

Thanks for noticing the corner... completely forgot to take it out. They wanted shots by the fake fireplace... and I did these for free, well at least I think I did... if they're going to pay me they haven't yet...

But, I took out the corner... better?
    Jer
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010

must be, I don't notice any corner
    edited January 5, 2010
    Brett1000 wrote:
    must be, I don't notice any corner

Thanks... I've been editing photos since 10pm so I'm a pretty tired right now. Shows what happens when you don't stick to your workflow...

sleepy time she comes
    Jer
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Yes, much. Care to share how you removed the corners so easily and quickly?
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Yes, much. Care to share how you removed the corners so easily and quickly?
    And for those of us who came late to the party, what did the original look like? I agree the net result looks like a nice flat wall.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    And for those of us who came late to the party, what did the original look like? I agree the net result looks like a nice flat wall.

+1 i was a little confused reading Scotts post about this. In anycase, i like the second one. There is too much space between them in the first.
  • The_Fat_ZebraThe_Fat_Zebra Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    My favorite is also the second as indeed there is a bit much space between them in the first picture, and your friend is a bit too uncomfortable in the first. (the three other people are much more relaxed in comparison)
    Also, the shadows behind the people on the left side of the pictures are harder than on the right side, maybe you want to even that out a bit?
    Street & Portrait because of the people. Landscape because it's pretty.
    Disappointed with AF of Tamron 28-75 2.8, me less happy.
    edited January 5, 2010
    hehe, sorry for the confusion... here are the originals... I don't feel like re-editing them to the state they were when I originally posted.

As to the editing: I cloned out the part that is touching something (his arm, the bowl, the fireplace), then I used the patch tool to blend and smooth out the rest. Simple! Took about a minute to take it out of both images.

758092740_rtxFL-L.jpg

758092818_TZmaX-L.jpg
    Jer