What camera should I buy to replace the three I have?

strutwatsonstrutwatson Banned Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited January 5, 2010 in Cameras
I am tired of carrying 3 cameras everywhere I go! I have the following: (1) a small point and shoot digital camera, 2 years old, (needed for its convenient size, instant picture review, and ease of e-mailing pictures), (2) a Minolta Maxuum 35 mm, 17 years old, with various lenses (needed for taking wide angles, telephotos, and doing creative photography that the digital one can't handle), and (3) a digital tape (mini DV) camcorder, 3 years old. I have been carrying all three of them around all week while hiking in the Grand Canyon, and have decided I need to find one camera that will do everything I need! Don't want to spend a fortune, but want something that is fully digital, gives the quality and lens changing options of the Minolta, and takes videos. Oh yes, and preferably is not too heavy! Does such a camera exist? What is it called? How much does it cost? THANK YOU!

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Canon G11 maybe? Small and compact, takes jpg+raw photos, video, has adapters available for wide shots, great macro.
    ~ Lisa
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    decided I need to find one camera that will do everything I need! Don't want to spend a fortune, but want something that is fully digital, gives the quality and lens changing options of the Minolta, and takes videos. Oh yes, and preferably is not too heavy! Does such a camera exist? What is it called? How much does it cost? THANK YOU!

I don't know about using old minolta lens on current Sony DSLR's but you coud look at the Canon 500D (T1i), Nikon D5000, Pentax K-X, etc. for low cost/low weight DSLR's.
  • holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    sounds like you should get a canon rebel ti1 or the nikon equivalent, i think it's the d5000.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Easy...
    Either a Panasonic GF1 or Olympus E-P1 or 2 (E-P2 if you consider an eye level VF a must). Both are smaller than a DSLR, both do video and both should enable you to use your old lenses via an adapter (Panasonic's manual focus assist is particularly effective IMHO). If you want to be a bit more serious about video, the more expensive Panasonic GH1 with its video optimized kit lens is well worth looking at.
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Sony
    All Sony DSLR's take all of the newer minolta lens that you might have.
    Check here
    http://www.dyxum.com/
    thumb.gif Dave
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 5, 2010
    I am tired of carrying 3 cameras everywhere I go! I have the following: (1) a small point and shoot digital camera, 2 years old, (needed for its convenient size, instant picture review, and ease of e-mailing pictures), (2) a Minolta Maxuum 35 mm, 17 years old, with various lenses (needed for taking wide angles, telephotos, and doing creative photography that the digital one can't handle), and (3) a digital tape (mini DV) camcorder, 3 years old. I have been carrying all three of them around all week while hiking in the Grand Canyon, and have decided I need to find one camera that will do everything I need! Don't want to spend a fortune, but want something that is fully digital, gives the quality and lens changing options of the Minolta, and takes videos. Oh yes, and preferably is not too heavy! Does such a camera exist? What is it called? How much does it cost? THANK YOU!

Strutwatson, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

With the change to digital photography, I decided to keep my DV camcorders and I have added new P&S cameras to replace my first digital camera, a Kodak 3MPix P&S.

I don't think that any digital camera is as good for general purpose video acquisition than a good 3-chip camcorder. AF issues and sound issues and long format are good reasons to keep a camcorder for many projects.

I also use a simple P&S for those simple "grabs" and times when a larger camera is not appropriate.

I do think that a dSLR and digital workflow is reason alone to move from a film SLR. The creative options in digital are just amazing in the digital world, and just the ability to change ISO without changing film or changing cameras is pretty amazing. Add in the ability to color balance in difficult light and I was sold pretty quickly after getting my first dSLR.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    It does sound like you might like one of the new Micro 4/3 cameras that internaut mentioned. I haven't touched one yet, but they are small, but have interchangeable lenses, and can shoot video. It's probably the only way you'll meet all three criteria other than maybe the G11, unless the small entry-level SLR bodies are not too big for you to carry. I collapsed most of my cameras into a little Panasonic LX3, but still got a Canon 7D because I wasn't willing to give up what a fast SLR can do.

You say you are using a miniDV camcorder. The shocker with the cameras today is that many can meet or exceed that image quality, if you are saying you carry a consumer model and not a three-chip pro model. You can get compact still cameras that do widescreen 720HD video and higher, much better than old miniDV. The biggest problem with still camera video is length, because you with most cameras you can't just let it run for 60 to 90 minutes continuously, you will run out of card space long before you would have run out of miniDV tape and tapes are much cheaper. If you usually shoot short takes, you won't have this problem and most still cameras' video modes will be fine.