DV Panorama

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited January 10, 2010 in Landscapes
Hi all,

Happy New Year. Been a while since I was here. Made my customary annual trip to Death Valley National Park on X'mas day. Had a great time with my friends, hiking and just generally chilling. I love that place. Anyway, I captured this panorama from 'Dante's View' in DV. 14 shots stitched together.

I have kept the height at 700 px to accommodate most laptops. To see the entire image, please scroll to the right.

BTW I noticed that for some strange reason, the image appears blurred when viewed in IE 8. It's fine in Firefox/ Safari. Not sure what's up with that! :huh

757871064_tTqPP-O-1.jpg

Cheers

Comments

• erickerick Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    the image is fine with Safari :-)

good work !
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 5, 2010
    Whoa -- best Dante's pano ever. :wow Great job, my man. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Absolutely stunning Nik. iloveyou.gif Great work bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Thanks for the comments guys. I think it looks a little oversharpened now. How do you downsize and sharpen a pano for web view? Can someone explain their workflow? :D

Cheers,
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

very nice work man!

I've given up on sharpening for the web....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited January 5, 2010
    shniks wrote:
    Thanks for the comments guys. I think it looks a little oversharpened now.

Is that sharpening artifacts, or HDR halo?
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    I'm not usually a fan of heavy tonemapping, but the PP works beautifully here. Very nice job!

Ken
    edited January 5, 2010
    kdog wrote:
    Is that sharpening artifacts, or HDR halo?

Hmmm good point. I will check it out later tonight (although I kept the strength at around 55. I think it's sharpening (as I sharpened the full res file first and then once I had downsized it, resharpened the jpeg- I know I know. I need to do it correctly), but will ensure it's not the HDR processing.

Cheers,
    edited January 5, 2010
    I didn't really notice it until you said something. So keep at it, and watch carefully where the halos are creeping in. This is an epic shot and deserves a bit of TLC to get it right. nod.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Wooot! Just gorgeous Nik and I'm very, very envious of your Xmas activities. :D

I'm so glad that you're up and at 'em again. We missed your amazing work!
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Spectacular!

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    I think that WOW !!!! covers it. bowdown.gif
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Stunning image bowdown.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Sensational! Excellent work!
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Incredible shot, Nikhil!! clap.gif

At web size it is looking over sharpened, but I'm sure it would look awesome as a nice big print!

Good to see you're recovered and back out there shooting again! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited January 6, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Incredible shot, Nikhil!! clap.gif

At web size it is looking over sharpened, but I'm sure it would look awesome as a nice big print!

Good to see you're recovered and back out there shooting again! thumb.gif

Yeah Chris- it def is over sharpened. I will have to spend some time over this weekend to redo it. I am still not sure about the workflow to reduce the size and then sharpen. The original looks great, but then is also approximately a 90 mb jpeg file.

Hope things are well with you. I really need to go to Lassen Volcanic park this summer. :D

Cheers,
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    I'm with the others, absolutely stunning. Great details and colors!
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    That sure is an eyeful, Nik, and good value for money! I knew there must be some perks pertaining to being a bird! On the downside, they can't hold a camera, I guess!

Seriously, this really does have presence. I'm sure you'll get on the case of the artifacts.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    shniks wrote:
    Yeah Chris- it def is over sharpened. I will have to spend some time over this weekend to redo it. I am still not sure about the workflow to reduce the size and then sharpen. The original looks great, but then is also approximately a 90 mb jpeg file.

Hope things are well with you. I really need to go to Lassen Volcanic park this summer. :D

Cheers,

Dunno if this applies, but if you are converting from RAW (maybe in other scenarios?) you can, in Capture One 5 at least, upscale to double size at say 600ppi, then in PS reduce to 300ppi keeping scales.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    shniks wrote:

Cheers,

Easy solution... just get it printed wall size and make us all jealous of your uber-sweet print!! :D

Lassen is awesome and I need to go back, but I've only ever driven through DV as a kid, I need to get out there and spend some time with my camera, so I think that needs to happen before Lassen... and of course, since the moment I was packing my tent I've wanted to go back to Yosemite... Man, I need more vacation time!!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited January 7, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Easy solution... just get it printed wall size and make us all jealous of your uber-sweet print!! :D

Lassen is awesome and I need to go back, but I've only ever driven through DV as a kid, I need to get out there and spend some time with my camera, so I think that needs to happen before Lassen... and of course, since the moment I was packing my tent I've wanted to go back to Yosemite... Man, I need more vacation time!!

You should totally go to DV. I first went there in Dec 08. And have been back there 4 times since then. I just LOVE that place. Each time I go there, I discover something new.

I am planning to go to Yosemite from the 2nd of June till the 6th of June. The reservations for the campsites open on Jan 15th, so hopefully I get a good campsite. Will see! I HAVE to hike up to Half Dome this time around.

Incidentally I reworked the pano again and it looks okay now. I did a little more work on the Panamint Range (the snow covered peaks). So they look mucho better and not that dark. Here it is:

757871064_tTqPP-O-1.jpg

Cheers brother,
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    First of all, this is a really great pano! The sharpening looks better on the repost too. While a majority of the picture looks great the middle section with Telescope Peak is over the top. The sky and mountain top looks out of place in that section of the picture; it seems too dark with the rest of the picture. As I scroll across I'm pleased with what I see but then my eyes get surprised by the unexpected transition in tonal quality. Please don't take this too negatively...you've already done in superb job in capturing all the frames to stitch this panorama.thumb.gif
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    bowdown.gif Wow, this shot is beyond epic. Incredible work.
    edited January 10, 2010
    acowan wrote:
    First of all, this is a really great pano! The sharpening looks better on the repost too. While a majority of the picture looks great the middle section with Telescope Peak is over the top. The sky and mountain top looks out of place in that section of the picture; it seems too dark with the rest of the picture. As I scroll across I'm pleased with what I see but then my eyes get surprised by the unexpected transition in tonal quality. Please don't take this too negatively...you've already done in superb job in capturing all the frames to stitch this panorama.thumb.gif

Hi Aaron,

Not taking it negatively at all. I really welcome any form of critique- that's how we get better, isn't it? I do notice that too, but I am unsure what might have gone wrong with that bit. I used the exact same parameters for all the frames, so that couldn't be it. I also used the exact same RAW settings for all the 70 shots. I will revisit the processing again, just to ensure that I did indeed use the same settings across the frames. Thanks for bringing this point up. thumb.gif

Cheers,