Options

Gary and Mary Engagement

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited January 9, 2010 in Weddings
I am proud to say I almost lost my fingers shooting this one. -3 degrees with a wind chill of -20 makes a magnesium alloy (metal) camera freezing cold!

We started off down at Pheonix Park, and after freezing for almost an hour we head over to Panera Bread for some hot soup and sandwiches! Oh, and we took some pictures while we were there as well. Here are my favorites from their session, and I am looking forward to shooting their wedding in June!

Its kind of hard to take pictures when its so cold out... I'm interested in hearing how some of you do it, aka Heather (I'm sure Alaska is MUCH colder than Wisconsin!).

CC welcome and appreciated!

757904301_Y7qvP-XL-1.jpg

2. 757902474_DWXiC-L-1.jpg 3. 757902535_7Yite-L-2.jpg

757903010_2mJun-XL-1.jpg
757903114_xynLc-XL-1.jpg
757923538_YW44d-XL.jpg
757923870_Dcbz9-XL.jpg
Jer

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    YEah I would like to know too. Any good gloves that you can recommend that is also good for using a camera?

Nice esession, Jeremy!

I think the first one needs a tighter crop, with the open space on the sides of the two and the space between them is too great, it loses, imho, intimacy.

Five, could use an interesting angle on the two.

6+7 are my favs of this set. =]
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    DanspageDanspage Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    You did a great job in the full sun and snow. I only wish you would have found some shade near buildings or a outside mall.

I think that at lunch you could have done a few with the food and drink near a window. It might be a little staged to have them only order drinks before ordering a meal but It will give time for the couple to enjoy, and relax and for you to get a few great available light photos.

Don't be shy.
    Daniel
    http://danspage.smugmug.com/
    Scratch Nikon I switched to
    Canon 5d mark II
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    Cute set. I don't know about shooting in the cold. The coldest I've done is about 40! I found that pretty miserable, and Texans don't know how to handle it.

#6 is my favorite, and I think I'd like #7 better in a close horizontal crop. I like the 2&3 set, too, although I wish she weren't holding her hat.

Caroline
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    I shoot in the cold and have found that driving gloves work the best since they are still fairly nimble and have little traction things that work for doing the dials. For a while I was using hunting gloves with the trigger finger exposed... That poor little finger just froze. So this works better for me.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    YEah I would like to know too. Any good gloves that you can recommend that is also good for using a camera?

Nice esession, Jeremy!

I think the first one needs a tighter crop, with the open space on the sides of the two and the space between them is too great, it loses, imho, intimacy.

Five, could use an interesting angle on the two.

6+7 are my favs of this set. =]

Thanks man!, I'll try out the cropping. Those two are my favorites as well... especially 6

As to the space between them... I guess I took people too seriously when they said, separate them. But hey! I'm not a pro... yet ...I'm allowed to make mistakes still!
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    Danspage wrote:
    You did a great job in the full sun and snow. I only wish you would have found some shade near buildings or a outside mall.

I think that at lunch you could have done a few with the food and drink near a window. It might be a little staged to have them only order drinks before ordering a meal but It will give time for the couple to enjoy, and relax and for you to get a few great available light photos.

Don't be shy.

Thanks, yeah I didn't think I was going to get any keepers outside... 1pm and absolutely no clouds. I thought it was going to be overcast, but I was surprised when I walked outside!

It was way too cold outside to hunt down a building for shade... and there wasn't very much shade in the park... We were just trying to get some stuff outside then rush over to the warmth of Panera.

It was REALLY busy at Panera. All of the tables were taken except this tiny half booth half table thing that was in this really tight corner. In other words, what I got was about as much as we could do.

Although I haven't heard back from them yet, I'm sure they loved what I provided.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    Cute set. I don't know about shooting in the cold. The coldest I've done is about 40! I found that pretty miserable, and Texans don't know how to handle it.

#6 is my favorite, and I think I'd like #7 better in a close horizontal crop. I like the 2&3 set, too, although I wish she weren't holding her hat.

Caroline

Thanks Caroline, 6 is my favorite as well! I have horizontal shots like 7 but they're not looking at the camera. They were looking off into the distance to get that serious look or whatever you want to call it.

And you're lucky that it only gets to 40's where you are. Last winter it got down to -20'ish with a wind chill of -45... I absolutely hated walking from my car to school in that.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2010
    I shoot in the cold and have found that driving gloves work the best since they are still fairly nimble and have little traction things that work for doing the dials. For a while I was using hunting gloves with the trigger finger exposed... That poor little finger just froze. So this works better for me.

I was using the fingertip-less gloves with the cover you can flip over... I had every finger covered, and then I snuck my index finger out to take a series of pictures then I would suck it back inside for warmth... Worked out alright, but definitely not warm enough.
    Jer
  • Options
    Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    I shoot with my Motocross gloves frequently and they're awesome. Warm yet breathable and rubberized fingers that work great on the shutter release and controls. Still allow good finger movement too. Troy Lee SE:

GL302A00blk.jpg

LowePro Makes some nice ones too (thinner though):

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Photo-Gloves,1990.htm
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    While visiting my brother in Eagle River one winter, I was introduced to Patagonia Lightweight Glove Liners. I spent the better part of 4 hours wearing just these in 0°F - 5°F conditions (little wind though) and my hands were in great condition the entire time.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    Nice shots, and it looks like a fun time!

My best tactic for shooting in the cold is to keep the rest of me warm. If I wear gloves, it's the fingerless plain leather ones I snagged for dirt cheap in an auto-parts section. Typically I just bundle up and stay overly warm and never stop moving, and use pockets to keep my hands warm when I can. I'll sometimes use my head to calculate the likelihood of frostbite, and if frostbite isn't likely I suck it up and just shoot through the pain and numbness. :D

I shot this one as a panorama of five images at three minutes apiece with the bank's thermometer at -24*F. Standing in one spot on a steep hillside, I just rocked back and forth violently enough to give me a workout, for a good half-hour until my batteries froze. rolleyes1.gif Oddly enough I came straight from church, and just bundled the layers I had in my car over my suit, but keeping my core warm was enough for my fingers. My tripod, however, fractured into three pieces when I folded it up... eek7.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    ryan the geekryan the geek Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 9, 2010
    I am proud to say I almost lost my fingers shooting this one. -3 degrees with a wind chill of -20 makes a magnesium alloy (metal) camera freezing cold!

Don't know if this helps, but I use a pair of football receiver gloves. Under Armor (and many others) makes a nice thin pair that have grips on the fingers! They keep me warm in the single digits (Fahrenheit). Nice shots by the way!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    coldclimb wrote:
    My tripod, however, fractured into three pieces when I folded it up... eek7.gif

For me it is those light stand brolly brackets that die with the cold... I have broken SOOOO Many of those things. I should buy stock in them. Too bad they don't make metal ones..... but it is always the adjustment handle that breaks.