Sunset on the Intracoastal Waterway

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited January 6, 2010 in Landscapes
I went down to Beaufort North Carolina for the holidays to visit my Mom. I got this shot from her dock one evening. I love the sunsets down there. The colors are always amazing. The fishing is pretty good too :D. This night was so still and quite on the water.

What do you think?

757212041_SV3JH-L-2.jpg

Comments

• RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    It's a beautiful scene but I think there is a lot of empty blue sky that isn't adding too much to the overall photo. Otherwise, the pristine waters and the sunset are pretty nice.
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    The color is nice but the photo itself is somewhat "meh." A lot of black at the bottom, and a lot of blue at the top, and the only interest is in the middle 1/6 of the frame.

I would probably have walked forward 100 feet and gotten a shot with the dock in silhouette, and reflections in the water.

Still, pretty colors, so with some work and re-framing you could get some great shots!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif Great colors and it looks like this was a worthwhile sunset, but the perspective on it could be improved. I think the sky is more interesting than the foreground, so maybe cropping a chunk of the bottom black part could work? I see the barest hint of a walkway in the bottom right, but since there isn't much detail it isn't really adding much to the lower part of the image.

Walking forward might also make the water portion of this view bigger, with more distance between the horizon and the shoreline. Hope you get to go back here and shoot something like this again! thumb.gif
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Thanks for the input everyone.

I lightened the dock a bit more. I need a new monitor. I calibrate my monitor with a color munki and I still think I am a bit bright. I checked this image on a few computers at work and the dock is virtually gone. My intent was to show it as a path out to the water, but not beat you over the head with it.

So I uploaded the new one. Let me know if it is better. thumb.gif