My first high key shot.(self portrait)

SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
edited January 6, 2010 in People
Artistic value aside (or lack thereof), can you please provide me with feedback on the technical aspect of it?

I tried to do it with no photoshop, so I achieved the white background by placing a slave flash behind me on a stand and bounce the light back to the camera by the use of a reflector.
Front light was an SB-800 in a soft box, and the pic was shot in my hallway.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

757824347_sQTVM-O.jpg
Chip

ad astra per aspera

Comments

• SLPIXSLPIX Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2010
    WOW. Brilliant I think. So you you bounced the slave flash back with a reflector. A reflector as in ??
  • SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    SLPIX wrote:
    WOW. Brilliant I think. So you you bounced the slave flash back with a reflector. A reflector as in ??

Here is what i did...

A SB-900 on the camera set to master and at very low power. Just enough to trigger the slaves.

One SB-800 in a soft box to provide the front light, and one SB-600 about a foot behind me on a stand, facing away from me and straight into a standard silver reflector.

My thought process was that if I shot that with the reflected flash at full power and higher ISO, the bounced light would be enough to blind the sensor as long as it is stronger than the front flash in the soft box.

It worked pretty good I think as there was no background/sheet for this shot, nor was the background digitally removed. There was just a bit of the reflector visible, but barely enough to take more than about a minute to clean in PS.

Here is the Straight Out Of The Camera shot, with zero processing.

759151957_nGNys-XL.jpg

And the set up. Again, straight out of the cam.

759153680_dLQ3a-XL.jpg
    Chip

ad astra per aspera