New portrait technique

2»

Comments

• tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Thomas,

If you don't already get it you need to pick up the September 2005 issue of Photoshop User. It has an article about Photo Painting. They do use both PS and Painter, I have not read the article yet so I don't know if the tutorials are aimed more at one program than the other. ne_nau.gif It has some info you might like to see though.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 5, 2005
    Thomas - I liked your first image. I like the painterly effect actions in PS too sometimes. No, they are not great art, but they can be a nice effect. And I agree that they can not be really appreciated at 800x600 pixels.

I've used them for snapshots captured a family gatherings. Like this - they help hide cluttered backgrounds and distracting elements. They wil not make a bad picture good, but they can make a decent picture better at times. And my cousin loved it.:):
    2308385-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Path,
    I like the effect you obtained with your shot. I'm still playing around with different filters trying to find something I like. I guess the question is can you make a very good photograph better or as good, but different?
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 6, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Path,
    I like the effect you obtained with your shot. I'm still playing around with different filters trying to find something I like. I guess the question is can you make a very good photograph better or as good, but different?

Obviously you and I think you can occaisionally. Simple images that do not depend on really fine detail, but graphic lines and/or color may work better. The original frame of the shot I displayed was not really sharply in focus as demonstrated below. I think it was much better after the painting effect.
    1704115-M.jpg

Not everyone we shoot is a perfect model. Some shots are OOF. Some folks may actually look better if the fine details are somewhat obscured. Painters have done this for centuries - why should they have all the fun?? As I said, my cousin loved it - that was enough reward for me.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin